Page 45 of 64 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: Info and help for HP TX2500 Series

Beans

Re: Info and help for HP TX2500 Series

Nice.
    That works perfect to.
    Next thing is:
    Now I have 3 launchers on my desktop (for this test): Rotate left 90 degrees, rotate right 90 degrees and rotate 180 degrees.
    With Shm's script I can rotate all the way round counterclock (just like in Vista), should we (meaning you) make this script do the same thing, or would you prefer to keep it more simple and just rotate 90 degrees and back or 180 degrees and back?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi martin,

Well my preference is to just rotate 90 degrees and then back. It's a lot faster that way. In the rotation HOW TO, the general case script I start with, actually rotates you through 360 degrees. Only it goes clockwise, the opposite of Windows Vista of course! What I did was simplify it and speed things up by breaking it up into a right and left handed script. I personally never need or want the screen inverted or to the left. But I can give you that script too if you want.

So the next step is to make a key binding if you want to try that. That's also in the HOW TO. If you need help with it holler.

Have you given up on method two and Tom Jaeger's wacomrotate daemon? I'm not clear where we left that.

I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy. I have Tom Jaeger's method set up on (key bound to) my "Q" key and I have a launcher in my dock with the script method. So if something changes and knocks out one method I still have the other one. I must not be left without rotation!
    Last edited by Favux; December 8th, 2008 at 04:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi martin,

Cool! You will never guess what. The reason I didn't seem to be paying attention to Shm's script is that it didn't work on my TX2000. But by comparing the output you gave me from your TX2500 and my TX2000 output and modifying it I now have it working on my laptop too. If the modification works on your TX2500 we now have a script that will work on a TX2500 or a TX2000 directly without needing to change the command at the beginning of the script.
    Even more exciting this may be a general script for any Wacom usb tablet!
    Could I impose on you to check it out? How do you want it to function? Rotate 360 degrees clockwise or counterclockwise? Or flipping from Landscape to Portrait to Landscape? To the left or right?
    I'm not sure if the color stuff is doing anything and I may strip it out. I guess we could test it with and without color. It seems to me that I read stuff on artifacts when the screen flipped and this stuff fixed that. But I think the kernel, video driver, and wacom updates have fixed that and we don't need the color correction anymore.
    Also he doesn't include the eraser so that needs to be added.

Let me know what you think.

Beans

sooooo....can I have the script to test?

Edit:
    Forget my comment!!! I was to fast.
    I would like it to go counterclockwise and at least to potrait and landscape.
    I haven't had eny problems with the colors.

Martin
    Last edited by martinjochimsen; December 8th, 2008 at 08:32 AM.

Beans

About the eraser:
    I only (at least for now) use the stylus' eraser in xournal, and in that program the eraser automatically is assigned to the small button on side of the stylus. I think thats more handy instead of turning the stylus the whole way around to erase something.
    Of course the eraser-function that way is a bit different from the way it works in Windows, where you can erase a long line with only one click.
    What is yours preferences for the eraser?

Martin

Beans
    Distro

Hi martin,

I like the eraser as eraser. It really only works that way in Gimp and kinda Inkscape, at least with the programs I have now. I use Xournal too.

Ok, give me a while to work on the script. You want it to go counterclockwise from landscape to portrait, right. I only just figured out how to get it to work. I'll post it tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro

Hi martin (and manu7irl),

OK I have the requested scripts. The both are working fine on my TX2000. If they work on your TX2500 we have the long sought for "general" script.

I included a script that rotates counterclockwise 360 degrees and one that rotates counterclockwise to portrait and then back to landscape (the way I prefer). If you and manu7irl (or anyone else with a TX2500) could test them out and post the results I would really appreciate it.

If you want scripts with different functions let me know.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Hi favux

Both scripts works perfect as they should. BUT I noticed something that all the scripts are doing including Shm's. I have a 12.1" screen with using 1280x800. When I rotate the screen the last 5 cm to the right is missing. I'v got some icons that is missing every time I rotate to potrait, and I can't scroll to get to the icons.
    Any ideas?

Martin

Beans
    Distro

Hey martin,

Outstanding we have a general script!!! It may even work with any usb wacom (I doubt serial wacom, but who knows?).

To manu7irl or any other TX2500 user out there: Further confirmation would be helpful.

Yeah I noticed the missing right part of the screen too, so I don't put any icons over there. I don't know if this happens in Vista or not, because the Sidebar takes up that area and it reorients itself to the new screen edge. It does make my cairo-dock off center, and if it is full, cuts off the right edge. Which is annoying.

Xrandr does allow you to change screen resolution. I don't know how to do that, but it probably isn't that hard. But I don't think that gets us where we want to go. We're at 1280x800 right? That's the native screen resolution of our LCD. If we go down to say 1024x768 doesn't that blur our image? Besides that might not be the problem.

It may be a problem with Xserver, where it doesn't preserve the center when it rotates (ie it has a bug that offsets the center a little). Xrandr may allow us to shift our screen a little up and down, or left or right. I'd have to look into that and see if it's possible. And I don't know if it would be the same for a TX2000 and a TX2500.

Or maybe the screen image stretches horizontally when in portrait mode, but keeps the left edge anchored making some of the right edge fall of the screen? Actually this sounds like what is happening. I wonder if xrandr lets you address that? It may be a MHz type setting.

Thank you for your help martin. Do you need any other scripts? I'll get around to modifying the HOW TO in a day or two. I'm hoping for confirmation from at least 1 other TX2500 user. After that could I talk you into posting a success story on the HOW TO. You know describing your system and how you got it working. By the way, did you do a key binding?

Also did you mess any more with wacomrotate daemon or do you just want to drop that?

Beans

Hi favux

Sure, I'll wright about the happy ending - I LOVE happy endings!!!
    I think for now I don't need any more scripts. You have done a great job and I'm now using your 360_rotation script.
    I didn't go further with the wacomrotate deamon, but maybe I should give it a try now that I no longer is using the fglrx-driver. I'll get back to that.
    It would be great with a key binding to the "Q"-button, but no one of the 4 keys on the screen gives any respons in xev. Every other keys gives a respons. Do I need to install something else? The "DVD"-button actully used to work in 8.04 but nothing happens now.

Martin

Page 45 of 64 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast