Page 13 of 64 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Info and help for HP TX2500 Series

Beans

Re: Info and help for HP TX2500 Series

Thanks thegnark. I just installed 8.04.1, and I did need acpi=off to install. I upgraded then tried blacklisting thermal and rebooting, and that didn't work. With thermal still blacklisted, I ran dpkg-reconfigure for linux-headers-2.6.24-20 linux-headers-2.6.20-generic linux-image-2.6.24-20-generic linux-libc-dev linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-20-generic linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-20-generic

I think that by reconfiguring the kernel with thermal blacklisted caused thermal not to be built into the initramfs, so now I'm able to boot with no special boot options.

Now the only thing I need working is the touchscreen and active digitizer. Hopefully there's an update to the linuxwacom driver soon which fixes all of our problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

If you install and boot first time with only "acpi=off", you still don't have LAN? Not once did I ever boot with noapic or nolapic.

If you can't get LAN working for some reason, I would skip the part where you update packages (as if you have a choice), but remember to update references from -20 to -19... If anyone can reply and tell me how to get (uname -r) integrated into those command, it would make things a little simpler. At this point, the only thing that updating it gives you is the fixed wl... which should be in the standard repo eventually... or you could download it directly and install it from flash drive...

Anyways, here are my network devices per lspci:
    Code:
    08:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
    09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
    Completely unrelated, but I would like to get CPU scaling working... that should be a huge boon to battery life and heat reduction. I know nothing about it, so I have no idea what to test...

Beans

I guess I didn't really clarify that.

After the install I tried booting without any params. It did not but and shut itself down.

I then tried booting with just acpi=off which cased a kernel panic but no temp trips.

Then I tried with just nolapic. It ran like it should but with temp trpis all the time during it, it also comes up with a blue screen telling me xserver failed in the middle of the boot sequence. It then shuts down.

On another note just noapic also causes a kernel panic at what looks to be the same spot as acpi=off.

As to the update, I have -19 so how would I update that with -20?

I doubt this is an issue but are you dual booting your laptops or are you all going full on Ubuntu.
    Last edited by pluckster; July 28th, 2008 at 07:46 AM.

Beans

Yeah, I suppose I should have used some "uname -r"s in my original post. Anyway, it'd be "zcat initrd.img-`uname -r` > /tmp/directory.cpio/initrd.cpio" instead of "zcat initrd.img-2.6.24-20-generic > /tmp/directory.cpio/initrd.cpio"

The ` around uname -r is the character to the left of the number 1, it's not an apostrophe.

Also, did you try running dpkg-reconfigure on those packages I mentioned a few posts up with thermal blacklisted? I never removed thermal from my initramfs and I'm running perfectly.

Pluckster: Your LAN should work with acpi=off and noapic, mine did. What are the outputs of "ifconfig" "lspci | grep Ethernet" and "sudo dhclient eth0"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

pluckster:
    2.6.24-20 is in the proposed repos
    Also, yeah, I'm dual booting Vista Ultimate 32 with Hardy 64

AstronomyDomine:
    No, I didn't run dpkg-reconfigure... however, I'm booting in now and performing these steps:
    Code:
    cd /boot
    sudo mv initrd.img-`uname -r` initrd.img-`uname -r`.nothermal
    sudo mv initrd.img-`uname -r`.bak initrd.img-`uname -r`
    Attempted boot and failed due to thermal trip (as expected), so I booted with acpi=off and ran:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-headers-`uname -r`
    Attemped to boot and failed Boot with acpi=off again and ran:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-headers-`uname -r` linux-image-`uname -r` linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r` linux-ubuntu-modules-`uname -r` linux-libc-dev
    Booted as normal succesfully... so it would seem that you are correct, after blacklisting thermal, we can jsut run a dpkg-reconfigure and things should be fine... I'm updating guide

Beans

thegnark: It seems that once a module is blacklisted, any generated initramfs won't contain that module. This is really awesome because now we really just need to install with acpi=off and noapic, boot with acpi=off and no apic, blacklist thermal, enable hardy-proposed, then upgrade.

Because the kernel's going to be upgraded anyway, and it will generate a new initramfs, we probably don't even need to run a dpkg-reconfigure as long as we upgrade the kernel after we blacklist thermal.

Your guide is going to help a lot of people. Is there any way we could put it on the first page? Maybe isachan could edit his first post and put your guide there, as well as any other helpful tips and information for newcomers.

Has anybody tried using Catalyst 8.7? I'm interested in trying to improve my battery life by following these instructions: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...Fglrx_lowpower but when I run "aticonfig --lsp" I recieve the error "POWERplay is not supported on your hardware" although I think it should be. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hrm... did you try booting with only acpi=off? I never had to supply nolapic or noapic. I'll see if I can post a HOWTO.

And regarding battery life, I think we might be SOL until a kernel that supports the Turion processor is released. I posted a METOO at https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/231534

edit: updated guide on page 12 and submitted a HOWTO for approval
    Last edited by thegnark; July 29th, 2008 at 12:03 AM.

Beans

I feel like somewhat of an idiot right now.

I just realized that I have been using/downloading 32bit versions of all my ISOs. So I downloaded 64bit and would you look at this, I works just fine. Still odd though that 32 bit won't work at all.

Just running through your instructions now. I have ethernet now so it seems to be doing its job.

Edit: everything is good to go except sound for me. Thanks for helping me out. I'll look to see if I mistyped those lines.
    Last edited by pluckster; July 29th, 2008 at 08:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by pluckster View Post
    Edit: everything is good to go except sound for me. Thanks for helping me out. I'll look to see if I mistyped those lines.
    Oh yay! Glad someone confirms it all works in that order. The only thing I can think of regarding the sound... is tghat I only included 1 of 2 lines detailed in the original post, because when I checked the bottom of alsa-base, the first line was already there... maybe it's getting added as part of the updates to hardy-proposed and our fix needs to come after update.

Can you verify if "options snd-cmipci mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388" exists in alsa-base towards the bottom? If not, add it - but it was there for me when I last wrote the guide.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isachan View Post
    AstronomyDomine,
    Yeah, it's been a while since last time said something about the latest wacom development driver, hasn't it ? Well, the reason is that 0.8.1-1 is not working well. The previous version was much better. The pen no longer register any clicks, so I can't write / draw anything. The touch screen is unchanged, works like before, with off-calibration.

By using wacomdump version 0.7.4 utility, I can see the pressure sensitivity bug has been sorta fixed, but looks strange in raw value. Eraser is recognized, not as another pen tip like the previous version.

I sent off 2 emails to the author asking questions but so far, I haven't received any reply. The documentation on the web site is quite old that only few of the information is applicable. I heard somewhere that so many protocols in the driver has been straighten out, and there are many more to fix.

I've found the bug in the source code from the previous version 0.8.1, so maybe I can try that when I have some time.
    Thanks isacan for the post. I'm not really understanding the wacdump command. I try the following:

wacdump /dev/input/by-id/usb-Tablet_ISD-V4-event-mouse

but it isn't giving me any feedback when I use the stylus. I'm probably just doing something dumb.

On another note I do seem to be having a little more success with the stylus with the following pressure setting.

Option "PressCurve" "0,15,85,100"

Thanks everyone!

Page 13 of 64 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast