Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] Can't SSH to my 8.04 server from the outside

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Can't SSH to my 8.04 server from the outside

New wrinkle to the mystery. I'm using VPN to connect back to my work's network and am using PuTTY to connect to a laptop sitting on my desk at work to try and reconnect back to my server here. I installed nmap to try and see if the port was open and am getting this message:

PORT STATE SERVICE
    33574/tcp closed unkown

On my router I've got the port forwarding to that address via that port...but if it was closed on the machine how would I be able to get in from computers on my home network?? I'm using DD-WRT on my Motorola router...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

other thing to take into account is your external IP address, my ISP changes mine from time to time, so i had to register at dyndns and setup a hostname, my router has an inbuild function to update my external IP with my hostname, then i just put my hostname into putty and my port and away i go, if your router has NAT you shouldnt have to worry about port forwarding, otherwise just open up your port, and if your router doesnt have the same functionality as mine then just use:

sudo apt-get install ddclient

configure it to update to your hostname and away you go

also make sure that if your trying to access it from say for instance your workplace, make sure that your using the companys proxy name and port to get out(put that somewhere in the putty settings, thats what i have to do anyway)

and also if you do ssh outside from your workplace might pay to use a port that doesnt look suspicious, i personally use port 443, so when the tech guys see the traffic its encrypted and doesnt look so suspicious(443, SSl)
    Last edited by dynamethod; July 2nd, 2008 at 02:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dynamethod View Post
    other thing to take into account is your external IP address, my ISP changes mine from time to time, so i had to register at dyndns and setup a hostname, my router has an inbuild function to update my external IP with my hostname, then i just put my hostname into putty and my port and away i go, if your router has NAT you shouldnt have to worry about port forwarding, otherwise just open up your port, and if your router doesnt have the same functionality as mine then just use:

sudo apt-get install ddclient

configure it to update to your hostname and away you go

also make sure that if your trying to access it from say for instance your workplace, make sure that your using the companys proxy name and port to get out(put that somewhere in the putty settings, thats what i have to do anyway)

and also if you do ssh outside from your workplace might pay to use a port that doesnt look suspicious, i personally use port 443, so when the tech guys see the traffic its encrypted and doesnt look so suspicious(443, SSl)
    I've already got a DYNDNS account set up. I'm using my router firmware (DDWRT) to keep DYNDNS updated. I'll give the proxy name a try tomorrow...thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yeah the company proxy will be stopping you from ssh'ing, try open up firefox at work, and go to the networks tab, that will tell you what the proxy url is, copy and paste that into the address bar and it should show you the port details on the page

Beans
    Distro

Ah, finally figured it out this week (been kind of busy at work and at home, so haven't had much time to play with it.) What happened was my employer blocks outbound traffic on all ports besides 80, 443, 21, and a few others. Needless to say my made up port and port 22 were both blocked. I tried it with port 443 and was able to log in just fine. Thanks for everyone's help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12