Page 53 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu users! Who are you?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Ubuntu users! Who are you?

Male 46 with a BS in Telecommunications. Expat. Dropout from the California rat race. English teacher, beginning RE investor. Linux user since '97, Ubuntu full time since 2006. Love Ubuntu, Bash scripting and telling people about Linux- (Started a Linux community in my office) Witnessing history as Linux gets it's start as an alt choice in small but growing number of PC shops here. Yea!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm Bruno, from portugal. I started using linux since suse 5.2 (it was a somewhat painfull experience) now i'm using ubuntu fiesty fawn at home and at work and i'm loving it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

The name's Bond, James Bond! Ok, no I cant back that one up!!!

39!!! Holy ****, where did all the years go? Married. No kids yet

Have been in I.T. for well over 25 years. *sigh* and it shows sometimes.
    To all you youngsters out there, yes there were PC's 20 years ago lol

Currently I.S. Director for national distribution company. 30+ staff, all think I am the best boss they ever had, well that's what it's say on the evaluations!

Linux user on and off for many years. Have completed 2 Linux courses, both admin and promtly forgot 95% of it within the year

Currently working on a migration programme for 50+ head office staff to move to Linux. Any help appreciated

Edit: Just dug out a Linux system admin manual from 2001 and thought I'd share the Min specs listed:

* At least 1 CPU
    * 400Mb of hard disk space
    * 16MB of RAM (24 Recommended) Glad they upped the RAM there he says typing on a machine with 2.5GB of RAM
    * At least a 3.5" disk drive
    * 80x25 test monitor
    Last edited by fatality_uk; December 7th, 2007 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Forgot something
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Mike, 23. Did 4 years in the US Navy as an IT right out of high school where I worked on some of the most elite computer technology in the world (a Windows NT network). Been out for just over a year. Worked at a call center for about 10 months doing computer support for NMCI. I'm now a Network Test Engineer with a well respected company, a peace activist, and a life-long student. I switched to Ubuntu right after I separated from the Navy and haven't looked back since.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Paul, 39. Not married, one child. Currently working as a System i (or iSeries, or AS/400, or whatever IBM are calling it this week) developer for far too long.

Movie buff, Brit living in Belgium.

Windows user at work. Recent Linux user at home - and very impressed so far.
    Be very wary of any command with sudo in it. Read this for more information and check this to make sure you do know what you're doing.

Random acts of bloggery | Twitter | Identi.ca

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

26yr old network engineer for a global fortune 500 defense firm. tried linux 8 years ago... hated it and gave up after about a week (i wish i knew what distro). I've been using linux 100% at home for about a year, after trying fedora core 4 or 5, i switched to ubuntu 6 (now at 7.10). I'd use it at work, but i work on a federal network, and they're *** backwards about security (open souce is insecure to them, even though down the street all the '3 letter' agencies use it for mission critical apps). At my next job, desktop linux will be a part of my benefits negotiations.

oh and.... i love beer
    Last edited by intelligentfool; December 8th, 2007 at 07:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentfool View Post
    (open souce is insecure to them, even though down the street all the '3 letter' agencies use it for mission critical apps).

I know, I was surprised when U.P.S. install Red Hat 6
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi I am a 57 year electronics tech. from Nova Scotia Canada. Happily married for 24 years and have three great kids. Hobbies include canoing. backpacking and wood working. Love not only Ubuntu but the community that supports it. As my kids would say...rock on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

26 live in Boston, Mass. I work as .NET developer and I'm currently in the process of porting my company's application to Mono. Using Linux for about 3 years.

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

oh god. I didn't realize I hadn't posted yet. A quick google search of "site:ubuntuforums.org ubuntu users! who are you? nathangrubb" didn't turn up this thread so I'll respond now
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hey, I'm nathan Grubb, I live in Chewelah,WA,USA a small city of 2000. I'm 14. I'm interested in computers.. Um...well I'm bad at bios so there yah go

Page 53 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast