Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I detect if I am currently using IPv4 or IPv6?

Beans

How do I detect if I am currently using IPv4 or IPv6?

Is there a terminal command I can run that would show me this information?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How do I detect if I am currently using IPv4 or IPv6?

Open up a terminal and type this command into it:

Code:
    lsmod | grep ipv6
    Output should be something like:

Code:
    ipv6                  411425  18
    Obiviously if you type that in , and you got an output that means you are running IPV6, if you got nothing back try substituting the ipv6 for ipv4 and if that spits something out you know you have IPV4.

I'm not sure but if you have 8.04 it might be defaulted to IPV6, I don't know what it is or how it works so I really don't know further than what I just gave you.
    Last edited by LuisGMarine; July 1st, 2008 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Grammar

Beans

Hmm, neither of them seem to output anything.

Edit: I'm pretty sure I disabled IPv6 since ifconfig no longer gives my ethernet card an inet6 address.
    Last edited by durundal; July 1st, 2008 at 02:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Try each command, that's not right if none of them are showing up. You are telling me that you ran both of these commands and none of them output anything?
    Code:
    lsmod | grep ipv6
    and

Code:
    lsmod | grep ipv4
    it makes no sense. I thought computers needed to have either or to be able to access the internet.

Beans

Nope, neither of them output anything.

Maybe I shouldn't have put "all variants" in the title since I am using Xubuntu, if that makes any difference at all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't get a response from either command in ubuntu as well (64-bit hardy, ipv6 disabled).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

IPV4 does not show up in the command lsmod. That's normal. I jsut checked mine. if you do not run IPv6 the the lsmod | grep IPv6 will reveal nothing, and be correct.

The ifconfig command is the best command to tell what your NIC is running.

Try ping "yourhostname" and you will see the IP address you are using.

Beans

So basically if ifconfig gives me an inet6 address I am using IPv6 and if it doesn't then I am using IPv4?

Maybe I should make another thread about this but the reason I want to disable IPv6 is because of privacy concerns.

Some DJ on the radio was talking about how the switch from IPv4 to IPv6 would stop all the "evil hackers". Now if IPv6 can identify the most evilest of hackers then it can't be too good for my privacy, right?

Anyways, upon googling I found an apparent bug in ubuntu involving this privacy issue:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ps/+bug/176125

Unfortunately the fixes didn't work for me. Is this something I should even concern myself with?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Some DJ on the radio was talking about how the switch from IPv4 to IPv6 would stop all the "evil hackers". Now if IPv6 can identify the most evilest of hackers then it can't be too good for my privacy, right?
    Its just ignorant jabber - you can safely ignore it. This is probably one of those situations of a game of Operator gone really bad: "I heard from a friend, of a friend, who's brothers' cousin's aunt on his mothers' side that..."

The IPv6 protocols are for 3 major purposes; Address space, simplifying addresses, and simplifying renumbering. There's nothing about them that inherently gives them black magic powers to stop hackers dead in their tracks - its merely a way more efficient way to assign IP's we've all be using. I've heard that there are some protocols that can assist in authentication which can make internet related things safer, but again, its no more an privacy issue than your current IP address.
    Last edited by Nexusx6; July 1st, 2008 at 03:44 AM.
    Always mark your solved problems with [SOLVED] in your subject line, and post your solution!

Beans
    Distro

Hackers? That's what me and you are. I thought ...

Hackers = people who hack files, like change programming code. Sort of what all Linux users do to some extend

Crackers = the bad people, ones who do malicious things with a keyboard. Like beat old ladies at a 7-11

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast