Thread: Console Bell (Beep) Not Working in 8.04

Beans

Console Bell (Beep) Not Working in 8.04

Well, I finally upgraded my SERP3 to 8.04 (32-bit) and after tweaking some things I'd done to GRUB and the nVidia driver I seem to have a fully functional system except for one issue: the console bell is not working.

After I first upgraded the console bell was extremely loud and obnoxious, so I ran the System76 driver in the hope that that would fix it. After I rebooted I found that I can no-longer get the console bell to go off at all. I have checked that pcspkr is loaded, that the "Enable system beep" is checked in GNOME, that "Terminal bell" is enabled in gnome-terminal, and that the length and frequency of the bell are non-zero. So, I'm scratching my head here a bit wondering why I don't have a beep, especially since the beep is not working on my virtual consoles either. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.
    Install Pipelight (run Netflix and other VOD services on Linux)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Console Bell (Beep) Not Working in 8.04

It's gone on my computer too.

Not too long ago, someone was complaining about the beep because it couldn't be adjusted/turned off. Turned out it was a feature that hadn't been developed fully and thus had bugs filed against it.

Looks like maybe they removed the feature all together to stop complaints until that get it fixed.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC