Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amarok in Ubuntu

Beans

Amarok in Ubuntu

Hi there,

What's the opinion of you guys on Rhythmbox, the standard music player in Ubuntu? I would say it totally sucks in comparison with Amarok. That's why I would really like Amarok to be an integral part of Ubuntu. Of course I can install Amarok nonetheless, but as a lot of KDE stuff has to be started, this is quite slow, and seems a bit unstable from time to time.

So Amarok part of Ubuntu, would this be possible? Can I vote in favor of this? (I totally support my great idea I mean is there some list of change requests where I can post this..

Cheers,
    Fred!

Beans
    Hidden!

Thumbs down Re: Amarok in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fred! View Post
    Hi there,

What's the opinion of you guys on Rhythmbox, the standard music player in Ubuntu? I would say it totally sucks in comparison with Amarok.
    Yeah it really sucks....

That's why I would really like Amarok to be an integral part of Ubuntu.
    I choose to differ I guess Songbird would be a better option it is GREAT..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Amarok in Ubuntu

Exaile works pretty good.

My problem with both Amarok and Exaile is it is a pain to add a windows share to yoru library.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yeah, Rythmbox is not as good as Amarok. The only app that I have found that is pretty similar to Amarok is XMMS or Audacity. However they are still missing the "Search" feature that Amarok has. I have tried Songbird and it looks awesome however the only thing that I don't like is that it consumes too much resources.
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I'm sort of in between exaile and amarok at the moment

Amarok - is great for me - except for the artefacts it's giving me - pops and crackles when tracks change.

Exaile is really not very good at remembering where it is in a long playlist and always starts at the beginning again. There is a bit of a fix you can use - but that doesn;t appear to work anymore either. But I don't get the artefacts.

I've never got on with any of the others tbh and still not liking songbird, although I try every now and again.

I doubt very much if amarok will be partr of ubuntu it's likely to be kde always, but if like me you use other kde pass then the libs etc are there anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by fred! View Post
    Hi there,

What's the opinion of you guys on Rhythmbox, the standard music player in Ubuntu? I would say it totally sucks in comparison with Amarok. That's why I would really like Amarok to be an integral part of Ubuntu. Of course I can install Amarok nonetheless, but as a lot of KDE stuff has to be started, this is quite slow, and seems a bit unstable from time to time.

So Amarok part of Ubuntu, would this be possible? Can I vote in favor of this? (I totally support my great idea I mean is there some list of change requests where I can post this..

Cheers,
    Fred!
    Amarok will never become default with Ubuntu as it is a KDE app. I could see it becoming default install with Kubuntu.

I have never tried Amarok, but Rhythmbox is a really nice music app. Is it perfect? No, I wish that it had an equalizer, but that is about it. I am not the most hardcore audiophile, but Rhythmbox works very well for me.

What part of Rhythmbox "sucks" so bad?

I use lots of KDE apps and here is how to get them to be faster in Gnome.

http://www.stchman.com/kde_fast.html
    Windows, only good for gaming.

Beans
    Distro

Rythmbox isn't great, but it works for me. Although - how I would love to see foobar on linux someday ....

Ubuntu - gnome more specifically does need a good music app though.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cjnkns View Post
    Rythmbox isn't great, but it works for me. Although - how I would love to see foobar on linux someday ....

Ubuntu - gnome more specifically does need a good music app though.
    Here, here, I'll second that. None of the Gnome apps are as good as Amarok.

In fact, Amarok is pretty much the best on any platform. I wish they'd port it to OS X.

Moved to Community Cafe.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Try the new 1.0 version of Banshee. Works really well, although it's gagging for a good radio plugin other than last.fm

I like bmpx as well. Lovely program, but sadly just not developed enough to avoid annoying little bugs that don't get fixed for months. No ipod support on this one either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast