Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 problems in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: 10 problems in Ubuntu

Although I skimmed the article and have had a problem with most of the items mentioned, within a few hours of skimming the forums I have had most of the problems resolved (a recount of when I knew nothing about linux and was installing Ubuntu for the first time -- my first linux distro). Unlike MACs who support a limited number of hardware, Ubuntu is likely to have some problems due to poor manufacture support for Linux combined with attempting to run on a variety of platforms. I congratulate the Ubuntu community at large for overcoming most of these obstacles. Its hard for me to separate Ubuntu from the forums since I think the two are so tightly comingled. If it were not for the forums, I would like be onto another distribution by now. Although the author has gripes, I think part II or a followup article should be -- I went to the Ubuntu forums and found resolutions on all of the issues mentioned EXCEPT .... This would be a much more fair write-up and but frankly take a lot more time.

Beans

the screen resolution thing is a particular annoyance of mine. it seems like there should be a part of the installation which just simply asks you to check off the resolution you wish to use (if i'm not mistaken, i believe the breezy installation did exactly that). why guess?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Good article, the author hits the nail bang on its head. From an average user point of view optimal resolution, a working net connection is the most important thing. It doesn't matter if its Ubuntu related or not. Overall GUI needs to be a bit more polished i.e. smaller, softer icons etc.

Beans

Show me an OS where you couldnt write a ten point list of things that needs fixing? Hell, I could write a 400 point list on OSX, XP and ubuntu each.

And the term "user-friendly" should be wiped from the face of the planet. There is no such thing. There is familiar and unfamiliar. Learning makes things become familiar. Don't take time to learn something, then it stays unfamiliar. End of.

Beans

Show me an OS where you couldnt write a ten point list of things that needs fixing? Hell, I could write a 400 point list on OSX, XP and ubuntu each.

And the term "user-friendly" should be wiped from the face of the planet. There is no such thing. There is familiar and unfamiliar. Learning makes things become familiar. Don't take time to learn something, then it stays unfamiliar. End of.
    OMG you hit every nail on their shiny heads

Dixon Bainbridge for the win!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by BDNiner View Post

I think lists like the article are needed. they point out issues that end users are having that may not neccessarily be bugs but more along the lines of usability issues.
    I agree.
    I love Ubuntu, I just wish it would be the best!
    Approach life & cooking with reckless abandon.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dixon Bainbridge View Post
    by your definition (which i agree with), we can see that there is a great deal of things that the general user is already familiar with. while those of us who have come to appreciate the cli way of doing things, most users are gui bound. so, making all the setup options available to the new user, in the form of easily found gui options, is the way to have a distro that is all inclusive. i don't expect this of distros like arch and gentoo which are not intended for the general population, but i do expect it of the distros that are trying to be as user friendly as they can be.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chucky chuckaluck View Post
    by your definition (which i agree with), we can see that there is a great deal of things that the general user is already familiar with. while those of us who have come to appreciate the cli way of doing things, most users are gui bound. so, making all the setup options available to the new user, in the form of easily found gui options, is the way to have a distro that is all inclusive. i don't expect this of distros like arch and gentoo which are not intended for the general population, but i do expect it of the distros that are trying to be as user friendly as they can be.
    Part of me agrees with you, the other part just thinks that people should get off their lazy backsides and take the time to learn something new. I'm amazed that people seem to think that's its possible to do something new and not learn anything... wtf?? You can't make something instantly easy to use for all people, so I just don't see the point in trying to. We live in an increasingly facile and lazy society, where we just cant be bothered to take the time to do anything. I mean, how hard is it to look something up on google? The advantage of that is, you might stumble across something else worth knowing too - happens to me all the time.

How do people manage with other things in life?

Beans

Meh, none of those are issues for me. What is an issue for me is apps changing my brightness.

Beans

@the admins who have been harsh to this article.
    Ok I think I for once see why that linsux.org site was made and also see mr.physcos point.
    It isn't really Linux that is bad at all it is the community.
    I am saying this because simply this.
    Someone of this community finds a nice well wrote out opinion on ubuntu at linux.org and you start just bashing people who are with the statement and just say it never happened to you.
    Heck I know atleast 4 of those things happened to me in both gusty and hardy.
    If I am right all the topic maker was doing was trying to help the ubuntu makers fix ubuntu for 8.10.

I think this also might be why everyone or mostly everyone at the PClinuxOS and debian forums dislikes ubuntu users.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast