Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 10 problems in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: 10 problems in Ubuntu

@Twitch6000, you should learn to respect others view of things, everyone has the right to post his/her opinion in a courteous way and this shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

You're somewhat reproaching users to bash the article bashing yourself the users of this thread, it's paradoxical don't you think ?
    Last edited by frodon; July 1st, 2008 at 04:37 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I didn't see any moderators bashing anyone. People have a right to disagree with an article. There weren't any personal attacks, just respectful disagreement. It was only the post accusing the mods of "bashing" that decided to make this discussion personal.

If you have a legitimate complaint to make, post in the Resolution Center. Otherwise, let's leave the personal attacks out of the discussion. Thanks.
    Last edited by aysiu; July 1st, 2008 at 05:34 PM.

Beans

I love linux, but I agree with *all* of the author Mr. Reed's points. With the exception of Dapper, I have had to fiddle to get my external USB drives to mount consistently in Ubuntu. All too frequently, with a new install they didn't show up at all, required manual root mounting, or mounted themselves under "new" mount points like Drive_ and Drive__ and Drive___ which resulted in applications not finding music playlists and the like. I liked the fiddling, luckily, because I learned from it. But it should have worked out of the box.
    Ubuntu Mint Mate 64-Bit
    HP Slimline AMD Turion64 | Dell D531
    Windows 7U / Winxp [gaming] Mint16

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    I love linux, but I agree with *all* of the author Mr. Reed's points. With the exception of Dapper, I have had to fiddle to get my external USB drives to mount consistently in Ubuntu. All too frequently, with a new install they didn't show up at all, required manual root mounting, or mounted themselves under "new" mount points like Drive_ and Drive__ and Drive___ which resulted in applications not finding music playlists and the like. I liked the fiddling, luckily, because I learned from it. But it should have worked out of the box.
    I've had to do the same with XP, on numerous occasions. One time, XP decided for no reason whatsoever to reassign all of my drive letters. That was fun. The point is, no OS is perfect, there are simply too many hardware configurations for a one OS fits all. We all have to tweak, regardless of system. OS X is a pain in the butt with my Nikon D40x. It mounts it when it feels like it - despite it being supported. Other people mount it no problems 100% of the time. Computers are eccentric, and despite our best efforts they do not conform to any kind of logic, but we are told that they do and should.

Sooner we realise that, the easier it is to manage an OS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dixon Bainbridge View Post
    i've Had To Do The Same With Xp, On Numerous Occasions. One Time, Xp Decided For No Reason Whatsoever To Reassign All Of My Drive Letters. That Was Fun. The Point Is, No Os Is Perfect, There Are Simply Too Many Hardware Configurations For A One Os Fits All. We All Have To Tweak, Regardless Of System. Os X Is A Pain In The Butt With My Nikon D40x. It Mounts It When It Feels Like It - Despite It Being Supported. Other People Mount It No Problems 100% Of The Time. Computers Are Eccentric, And Despite Our Best Efforts They Do Not Conform To Any Kind Of Logic, But We Are Told That They Do And Should.

Sooner We Realise That, The Easier It Is To Manage An Os.
    +1
    Hmmm...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch6000 View Post
    @the admins who have been harsh to this article.
    Ok I think I for once see why that linsux.org site was made and also see mr.physcos point.
    It isn't really Linux that is bad at all it is the community.
    I am saying this because simply this.
    Someone of this community finds a nice well wrote out opinion on ubuntu at linux.org and you start just bashing people who are with the statement and just say it never happened to you.
    Heck I know atleast 4 of those things happened to me in both gusty and hardy.
    If I am right all the topic maker was doing was trying to help the ubuntu makers fix ubuntu for 8.10.

I think this also might be why everyone or mostly everyone at the PClinuxOS and debian forums dislikes ubuntu users.
    So your experiences are more valid than everyone else's?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dixon Bainbridge View Post
    Part of me agrees with you, the other part just thinks that people should get off their lazy backsides and take the time to learn something new. I'm amazed that people seem to think that's its possible to do something new and not learn anything... wtf?? You can't make something instantly easy to use for all people, so I just don't see the point in trying to. We live in an increasingly facile and lazy society, where we just cant be bothered to take the time to do anything. I mean, how hard is it to look something up on google? The advantage of that is, you might stumble across something else worth knowing too - happens to me all the time.

How do people manage with other things in life?
    a lot of people are busy and have other things to do than learn a new operating system. a lot of people don't want to learn about fuel injection, either, they just want their cars to work, so they can get to their job, pick up their screaming kids from soccer, go to the grocery store, etc. if we want these people to use linux, we're going to have to make it easy for them to get up and running so they can do what they need to do. if you want to insist on hardcore, then the only distro that should exist should be linux from scratch (none of this hwd nonsense those lazy arch users have, for example).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch6000 View Post
    @the admins who have been harsh to this article.
    Ok I think I for once see why that linsux.org site was made and also see mr.physcos point.
    It isn't really Linux that is bad at all it is the community.
    I am saying this because simply this.
    Someone of this community finds a nice well wrote out opinion on ubuntu at linux.org and you start just bashing people who are with the statement and just say it never happened to you.
    Heck I know atleast 4 of those things happened to me in both gusty and hardy.
    If I am right all the topic maker was doing was trying to help the ubuntu makers fix ubuntu for 8.10.

I think this also might be why everyone or mostly everyone at the PClinuxOS and debian forums dislikes ubuntu users.
    +1

also the author points from the start that these are the top 10 problems new users post in these forums.

i agree with most, specially easy recovery and documentation
    Last edited by madjr; July 1st, 2008 at 09:33 PM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chucky chuckaluck View Post
    a lot of people are busy and have other things to do than learn a new operating system. a lot of people don't want to learn about fuel injection, either, they just want their cars to work, so they can get to their job, pick up their screaming kids from soccer, go to the grocery store, etc. if we want these people to use linux, we're going to have to make it easy for them to get up and running so they can do what they need to do. if you want to insist on hardcore, then the only distro that should exist should be linux from scratch (none of this hwd nonsense those lazy arch users have, for example).
    Yeah, I understand that, but what I'm saying is, people's expectations of what a computer and OS can do are not realistic. Things do not work as they should. There isnt a single computer user in the world that hasnt at some point yelled "WTF ARE YOU DOING?" at their monitor at some point, because the OS has decided, for whatever reason, to spazz out. We're all had to search on endless forums to get (for example from my past) THAT STUPID REALTEK DRIVER TO DRIVE THE AUDIO ON MY MOBO THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE SUPPORTED BY XP BUT WONT WORK IF YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS, BUT DOES WORK IF YOU DO SOMETHING REALLY ARCANE LIKE STAND ON YOUR HEAD AND WIGGLE YOUR LEG IN A COUNTERCLOCK DIRECTION WHILST WHISTLING THE ITALIAN NATIONAL ANTHEM... oooh, its decided to install.

Computers arent logical. They never work properly. They will always need tweaking. They are a law unto themselves. Accept it. Its easier that way.

Beans

How long till this is in OMGPP???
    Hmmm...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast