Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Runescape on Ubuntu is it possible?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Runescape on Ubuntu is it possible?

Hi is it possible to play runescape on Ubuntu, preferabbly using SwiftKit, if not just in the browser. I have wine and crossover. I would really love to get runescape going in ubuntu. Cheers Anthony

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Runescape on Ubuntu is it possible?

The browser version runs on adobe flash and thus on linux. (Native, no wine or crossover required). You have to play on low graphics quality tough, high doesn't work. I tested it out for someone else on the forum once.

Since I don't play runescape, I have never heard of the client you mentioned, but just take a look in the wine appdb to see if it works with wine: http://appdb.winehq.org/

Have fun!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by eragon100 View Post
    The browser version runs on adobe flash and thus on linux. (Native, no wine or crossover required). You have to play on low graphics quality tough, high doesn't work. I tested it out for someone else on the forum once.

Since I don't play runescape, I have never heard of the client you mentioned, but just take a look in the wine appdb to see if it works with wine: http://appdb.winehq.org/

Have fun!
    It uses Java, and should work fine. I think you may have to use an unsigned applet though -- it's been a while.

Beans

It's a browser game, thus there should be no problem running it on Linux. As long as you have the latest version of Adobe Flash (Which has an Ubuntu version) you should be good to go.

I wasn't aware there were programs you could use to play this game, but your best bet would be to try Wine to run it. However make sure it's not choppy. Some programs, like Safari, run super choppy through Wine, and you'd be better of staying in a browser.

Hope this helps,
    Lockerhaxor
    My site exists on teh interwebz!!! www.thelockerblog.com !

starcannon is offline Chocolate Ubuntu Mocha Blend
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Works fine here, be sure to go into:
    System-->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager
    and install Sun-Java

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi, I'm a linux newbie and I got runescape up and running in the new HD version. I use firefox v3 and the latest sun java version 6 i think. I had to delete java and reinstall it. Then used the "patch" RS give in there technical advise to get it to run full screen but its running awesome. Swiftkit doesnt work in ubuntu or any linux for that matter, so you would have to use wine if you wanted to use it. There was another programme similiar to swift kit but I lost the link and can't even remember the name, but its out there somewhere
    Last edited by snaggapuss; July 2nd, 2008 at 09:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Installed the three plugins and more but can't play runescape here

Beans

[HOWTO] Set up Sun Java in Ubuntu (x86 and AMD64) Helpful for RS players

My guide to set up Sun Java (needed for Runescape) in Ubuntu, both in 64 bit (AMD64) and 32 bit (i386). If you don't know whether you have, go to a terminal (Applications > Accesories > Terminal) and type this:
    Code:
    uname -m
    If it says x86_64, you have 64 bit, if it says i686 or x86 then you have 32 bit.

32 Bit (i386):

In terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin ; sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-6-sun
    And you should be good to go

64 Bit (AMD64):
    Thanks to Sun, it's slightly more complicated...although when the final Java 7 is released it should be as easy as it is in 32 bit

Run each line one at a time in a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
    wget http://mozilla.mtk.nao.ac.jp/pub/mozilla.org//firefox/releases/3.0.1/linux-i686/en-US/firefox-3.0.1.tar.bz2
    tar -xf firefox-3.0.1.tar.bz2
    sudo mv firefox /opt/firefox32
    sudo apt-get install ia32-sun-java6-bin
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/ia32-java-6-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /opt/firefox32/plugins/
    sudo ln -s /opt/firefox32/firefox /usr/local/bin/firefox32
    Now run the command 'firefox32' to start the 32 bit Firefox, complete with a Runescape compatible Java Make sure you close all instances of Firefox before you do this or it won't work!

----

Full screen Runescape HD problems? No problem! (Both 32 bit and 64 bit)
    22. RuneScape HD will not go full screen in my version on Linux. Is there a way to get it to go full screen?
    On some recent versions of Linux, a system modification is required to enable correct functioning of the full-screen mode.
    Note that this change could have adverse effects if you are running two monitors but you can reverse it once you finish playing RuneScape HD.
    To enable the modification:
    Open a linux terminal window.
    Type the following commands:
    cd /usr/bin/X11
    sudo cp Xorg Xorg-backup
    sudo sed -i s/XINERAMA/ZINERAMA/g Xorg
    Then reboot your linux machine.
    To disable the modification:
    Open a linux terminal window.
    Type the following commands:
    cd /usr/bin/X11
    sudo sed -i s/ZINERAMA/XINERAMA/g Xorg
    Then reboot your linux machine
    Note also that we are expecting the next update of Java to fix this issue after which you will no longer need the modification.
    Hope my guide-in-a-thread helped
    Last edited by doorknob60; September 9th, 2008 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Made it more guideish so I could link it to other people :D
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans

I had to turn off Advanced Desktop Effects to get the "guide in a thread" to work. IDK if it was a performance issue, I have a new, but pretty low-end computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I believe it is run on java and should be playable in firefox without wine ect.
    Eastwood
    "Go Ahead Make My Day Punk"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast