Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't share folders on VirtualBox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Can't share folders on VirtualBox

Hi

Two weeks ago I was able to enable shared folders on VirtalBox. I added these folders just by the "Shared folders" dialog on the specific Virtual Machine.

I dind't do anything else, and it worked well. Then I reinstalled Ubuntu (reasons unknown, hehe) and when I try to share folders, Windows is not able to detect them.

What I do is:

1. Virtual Machine is off. I go to the preferences dialog, Shared Folders and add the folder I want to share.

2. Start the VM, “My Networking Places” -> “Entire Network” -> “VirtualBox Shared Folders”.

3. And it is supposed that Windows should detect the virtualbox shared folder, but... it just shows "VirtualBox Shared Folder" like if it wasn't anything inside (mean not shared folders).

I'm using VirtualBox 1.6.2 on Ubuntu 8.04.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Can't share folders on VirtualBox

same here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

After you start up your virutal machine, you have to go into devices--> "Install Guest Additions." After that you can mount your shared device using by going into Device->"Shared Folder."

After the above is completed, you can access your shared drive via windows with the following:

net use x: \\vboxsvr\share-name

This should get you on your way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Still the same

There is something wrong here. Maybe it's the virtualbox version cause there are many 1.6.2 revisions...

I'll try downloading older versions.

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PauGNU View Post
    Still the same

There is something wrong here. Maybe it's the virtualbox version cause there are many 1.6.2 revisions...

I'll try downloading older versions.

Thanks
    Havin' the same problem here. Did you find a solution yet?

Thanks,
    airflow

Beans

Angry Re: Can't share folders on VirtualBox

Hi all,

Had to upgrade to 1.6 all works well, additions installed

Same problem with shared folders.

when I use the command net use e: \\vboxsvr\nameusedinadditions

The message I get is that it cannot find the name of the network (which I have defined as vboxsvr as per the documentation manual) (p 60 user manual)

So maybe we need to have or define another name for the server

BTW the VirtualBox Shared Folders on guest XP did not appear in 1.5

Marc

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by marcv700 View Post
    Had to upgrade to 1.6 all works well, additions installed
    Hi,

I found the solution in the meantime. It's not about upgrading to 1.6, as I started already with 1.6.2 (I used the "commercial" version from the homepage of the developers, not the version in ubuntus repositories).

The problem seems to be a broken installation-routine for the additions. I installed the additions on two different virtual maschines (both Windows XP, but different flavours). On both machines I had the problem that after configuring the shared folders they did not appear in the network-neighbourhood of the maschines.

To fix the problem you just have to install the additions *again* (a second time) over the old installation, i.e. without de-installing the previous installation first. Then it works as it should. I could reproduce this with both my virtual-maschines. I got this hint from another forum, where others where having the same problem and solution.

regards,
    airflow

Beans

Thank you Airflow.

Got the sharing to work.

Reinstallation solved the problem

Marc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by airflow View Post
    To fix the problem you just have to install the additions *again* (a second time) over the old installation, i.e. without de-installing the previous installation first. Then it works as it should. I could reproduce this with both my virtual-maschines. I got this hint from another forum, where others where having the same problem and solution.

regards,
    airflow
    Great, worked for me thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by airflow View Post

regards,
    airflow
    I'm in the same situation, running 1.6.2 on Ubuntu 8.04 and unfortunately the above didn't work for me, but I found a thread that suggested removing the 1.6.2 guest additions and installing the 1.6.0 and that did work fine.
    http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtop...b61aadad32fdd6

Everything else seems to work fine too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast