Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GUI installation tutorial for wpn111 and Ubuntu 8.04

Beans

GUI installation tutorial for wpn111 and Ubuntu 8.04 and 9.04

Tutorial to install wpn111
    no command lines, Using only Ubuntu GUI

Part 1 is for Ubuntu 9.04 only (Lubuntu 11.04 will not work)
    Part 2 is for Ubuntu 8.04 and Lubuntu 11.04

I am not sure if Ubuntu 8.04 will work with PART 1. I have no time to test it yet.[/COLOR]
    ================================================== ==

PART 1.

UBUNTU 9.04 (confirm 26/06/2009-using live CD)

In Brief I used LiveCD 9.04 Release 5.0 (2.6.28-11-generic (#42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 01:57:59 UTC 2009)-from sysinfo)

1. Use System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager to install "ndiswrapper" from LiveCD 9.04
    (just key "ndis" in the search box)

2. select install "ndisgtk" (and 2 others will be included) click "Apply"

3. Plug in your wpn111 and wait till the blue light blink.

-----step 4, 5, 6 are just to verify that wpn111 is detected by Ubuntu 9.04 ------
    4. Use System/Administration/Widows Wireless Drivers (new item created after step 2)
    5. Ignore Error massage said "Unable to see if hardware is present" and press ok
    Just one of the bug? may be??
    6. Ndiswrapper should display "Hardware present: Yes" wait 2 minutes for wpn11 to search for wireless network, before go to next step.
    ----------------------------------------

7. Left click "NetworkManager Applet 0.7.0.100" on the top right hand side of "Panel"
    You should see the wireless network,
    Left click to log on.

8. I use WEB 128 share key "Access Point" - connected immediately, no hiccup, NO REBOOT during setup.
    --------End Tutorial PART 1 ---------
    ================================================== ====================

PART 2

Tutorial For Ubuntu 8.04
    and LUBUNTU 11.04 Linux 2.6.38-8-generic (i686) (10 JUNE 2011)
    ----------------------
    YOU SHOULD HAVE FRESH INSTALL UBUNTU FOR THIS TUTORIAL
    ------------------------------------------------------
    comments from others in the thread.

"Fresh install on Hard Disk should result the same way as tompic823 of post 22 below (Thanks a lot tompic823) has reported, and "agitated" me to do this new tests and new brief tutorial for Ubuntu 9.04.

tompic823 said in post 22 (26/6/2009)"This works great for me on a clean install of Ubuntu 9.04 with my USB WPN111. Thanks so much!"=Thanks to you too.

How ever I got problems with 9.04 updated from beta.
    (Ubuntu 9.04 beta, will not work with this tutorial, I waste 5 hours on it, gave up for now.10/4/2009),

Also I cannot get it work with my Ubuntu+Edubuntu+Remix 9.04-beta-updated
    but because "tompic823" said he did it success with "CLEAN" installed 9.04,

so I spend a couple of hours, to do install wpn111 with LiveCD 9.04 twice work 100% no reboot during setup.

"tompic823 and my experience confirm that if you have problems with 8.04 and 9.04 and wpn111 ---> do a new clean fresh install of UBUNTU should work.

Important Notes: wg111v2 won't works with this tutorial.
    It work with another tutorial at this link below
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...32#post5363332

Under this tutorial wg111v2 works for only 3 odd hours and stop work and I cannot get it to work AGAIN,
    ---I gave up, I can't get wg111v2 work with this wpn111 tutorial. [/url].

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My hardware is
    Asustek Oem barebone notebook, with cpu intel dual core 1.6GH.
    Compaq Presario 2500 P4 celeron 2.8GH
    Netgear USB wpn111
    Acces Point is NetGear DG834GSP v3 Optus (Melbourne,Aus)-wireless router ADSL2+.
    I am only 3 weeks old (1/JUNE/2008 ) Ubuntu user.
    -------------------------------------------------

Tutorial Start here.
    =================================

1. I choose to install windowXP Sevicepk3 in the system and also install wpn111 100% results,
    to verify that all the hardwares work perfectly for the system, under windowXP.

2. you must have wpn111 drivers in your system, in my case in default netgear installation.
    windowXP partition.=> /Program Files/Netgear/wpn111/driver/netwpn11.inf

or download from below
    attached file for wpn111 win-drivers.tar.gz

or from the below link which I download only wpn111 files from.
    Please follow the instruction to install the files if you do not know how to do with it.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=wpn111

3. In my case I install new Ubuntu 8.04 (I did 3 times just to make sure it works according to this tutorial)
    4. From Menu Bar panel, Click=> System/Administration/Update Manager
    Updatemanager.png
    5. (Connect to Internet-with LAN OR RJ45) Let it update every package on the recomended lists.

(News-from jualin's below post- I confirm 100% work for me on 10/4/2009 = using Compaq Presario 2500 P4 Celeron 512MbRam)
    ....you don't need to have internet access to install Ndiswrapper since it comes with the Ubuntu LiveCD. You just need to enable the LiveCD as a repository. To do this just open Synaptic Package Manager, then click on Settings, Repositories and enable the Ubuntu Cdrom as a repository....

.and don't forget to put LiveCD Ubuntu in the CD/DVD drive...

Install Ndiswrapper packages.
    6. From Menu Bar panel, Click=> System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager
    synaptic.png
    7. Click on search icon, key in search box, ndisgtk , click search

8. check the tick box to install ndisgtk, click apply icon
    9. it will pop up new window let you know it has to install 2 more packages,
    ndiswrapper-common and ndiswrapper-utils-1.9, click apply icon.
    10. RESTART your computer.

Install wpn111 drivers
    11. From Menu Bar panel, Click=> System/Administration/Windows Wireless Drivers
    (this is new menu, you will not see it before step 6 to 10)

12. Click on +Install New Driver icon.
    13. Click on the folder icon at the right hand of Location box.
    Then choose the netwpn11.inf(for wpn111)(there is no file by the name netwpn111.inf though the USB stick is call wpn111)

where you have it. ( the worse case use search file function, to search the windowXP partition, or other drive,
    don't forget to write the correct name "netwpn11.inf" to search the system.)
    wpn111driverselected.png
    14. Then click on open then install
    15. plug in your usb wpn111 stick.
    16. If the blue led did not start blinking soon, you must use theSHUTDOWN choice to reboot your computer.
    (YOU SHOULD NOT USE RESTART,because it proofed that many times it will not work)

17 From right hand of the Menu Bar panel,
    left click on networking icon (nm-applet 0.6.6)
    and choose the wireless network to log into.
    18. If you do the right login password, and choose the right security level type.
    You should be on the internet in 10 or 15 seconds.

Wireless setting to use wpn111 with ubuntu 8.04

1. I found no problems with "password type => WEP 128 bit HEX, never miss the internet connection after SHUTDOWN and turn on, more than 40 times now.
    Sometimes I found it will not connect to the internet, if it wake up from hibernation, or USE RESTART to RESTART your system. ONLY SHUTDOWN give 100% successful connection when you system is turn on again.

2. With WPA and WPA2 have been a lot of troubles. If you can avoid, you better do that. I don't know if Ubuntu 8.04 has problems with this WPA and WPA2, I used Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 AG (Ubuntu autodetected) and have the same problem with wpn111.

You will have to use manual configuration (left mouse click to networking icon (nm-applet 0.6.6), and choose the buttom Manual Configuration choice.)

After finish setting, SHUTDOWN the system and turn it on again, don't use RESTART, not reliable.
    Still with above instruction You should get the connection ok at 60% of the setup.
    If you did not get the connection, SHUTDOWN again and turn it on, somtimes I have to do it 2 times to get it work.

And a few times have to pull USB wpn111 out from the slot and insert to usb port only after Ubutu booted half way through.

=== So much problems ++ I have to change the wireless access point to WEB 128bit HEX password type on my home and office.

================================================== ===============
    Thanks for all the Gurus who gave me knowledge on Linux
    This tutorial came about after I have succesful installation wpn111 and Ubuntu 8.04 though with great problems using manual installations instruction from

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=wpn111

and a few other ubuntu forum threads under search of "wpn111"

But that was also due to my attempts to use WPA and WPA2 as Password type in wireless setting.Attachment 76468
    Last edited by aimwin; June 10th, 2011 at 06:08 PM.

Beans

Re: GUI installation tutorial for wpn111 and Ubuntu 8.04

Didn't work for me. I shut down & rebooted and the light just wouldn't come on.

Could it be that I have a V2? How do you tell?

Also, please specify that you need to start the procedure with the dongle unplugged.

Works flawlessly on Windows XP SP3.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeOfEpsilon View Post

Also, please specify that you need to start the procedure with the dongle unplugged.

I have not tried wg111v2 yet.

EDIT New edit 10/07/2008 -- successful installation and use wg111v2, please see below link
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...32#post5363332

Did you install XP Sp3 in the same system?
    I always have left it plugged and it works for me.

But when it did not work many times in the pass.

I did unplug, and PLUG the USB wpn111 only when there is an UBUNTU logo on the screen with the orange bar indicating progress of the booting.
    (some one else post that in the full manual installation tutorial thread)

after steps Install wpn111 drivers
    From Menu Bar panel, Click=> System/Administration/Windows Wireless Drivers (this is new menu, you will not see it before step 6 to 10)

Do you see the same as below? with the word hardware present YES ?
    Screenshot-Wireless Network Drivers.png
    Last edited by aimwin; July 11th, 2008 at 11:45 AM.

Beans

Windows XP SP3 was on a different system. USB port on this one seems good though. My flash drive was in the same port and it worked fine.

Yes, it claims that the hardware is present. My window is identical to your screen capture.

Trying your suggestion now...

EDIT: No good. Shows up as attached, but there's no option for it in the Network Manager. Still no light on the dongle. ndisgtk will update when I plug/unplug the device, but no activity. The device is plugged in directly to the USB port, not via the USB extension.

EDIT EDIT: This could have something to do with it:

Code:
    user@box:~$ ndiswrapper -v
    modinfo: could not open /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/misc/ndiswrapper.ko: No such file or directory
    module version is too old!
    utils version: '1.9', utils version needed by module: '0'
    module details:
    modinfo: could not open /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/misc/ndiswrapper.ko: No such file or directory

You may need to upgrade driver and/or utils to latest versions available at
    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net
    Following directions in the post you linked...

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Following the rest of the steps in the linked tutorial worked. I'm now connected through the wireless card!

Thank you for your great tutorial!
    Last edited by EdgeOfEpsilon; July 3rd, 2008 at 03:05 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeOfEpsilon View Post

Hi EdgeofEpsilon

Is your V2? you refer to wg111v2 ?

Thanks

Beans

Would I need to use the internet at anytime during this installation? Specifically during steps 4-9?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by silentmichael View Post
    Would I need to use the internet at anytime during this installation? Specifically during steps 4-9?
    Yes in MY CASE. Since I use the most recent update,
    June-July 2008 auto update from UBUNTU servers.

And I hope the future package updates will still compatible with wpn111 driver and the Ndiswrapper.

How ever if one day it did not work please let us know so we can update the tutorial.

OFF LINE INSTALLATION.

But I believed that if someone had download these packages to your system before it should be available off line, or if the package are on additional linux CD. Then you can be off line.

If someone can help con firm if this is possible.

I did with other previous downloaded packages and I uninstall them. Then order the reinstall without connect to the net. But I have never try for this one.

I hope you are successful install your wpn111 by now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aimwin View Post
    Yes in MY CASE. Since I use the most recent update,
    June-July 2008 auto update from UBUNTU servers.

And I hope the future package updates will still compatible with wpn111 driver and the Ndiswrapper.

How ever if one day it did not work please let us know so we can update the tutorial.

OFF LINE INSTALLATION.

But I believed that if someone had download these packages to your system before it should be available off line, or if the package are on additional linux CD. Then you can be off line.

If someone can help con firm if this is possible.

I did with other previous downloaded packages and I uninstall them. Then order the reinstall without connect to the net. But I have never try for this one.

I hope you are successful install your wpn111 by now.
    I got the wpn111 to work on the computer.
    I didn't have all the ndiswrapper packages in my copy of Ubuntu, but I was able to download all the needed packages from my other internet-enabled computer, transfer them to a USB stick, and manually install them onto my Ubuntu machine.

After that, everything worked perfectly. I did have to switch from WPA to WEB 129bit HEX, but it's not really a problem.

Thanks for the tutorial.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by silentmichael View Post
    Probably a bit late for this but no, you don't need to have internet access to install Ndiswrapper since it comes with the Ubuntu LiveCD. You just need to enable the LiveCD as a repository. To do this just open Synaptic Package Manager, then click on Settings, Repositories and enable the Ubuntu Cdrom as a repository. I have one of this little wireless USB Adapters and it works excellent. I have another link for the drivers in case someone needs them Here it is. Good luck!
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jualin View Post
    Probably a bit late for this but no, you don't need to have internet access to install Ndiswrapper since it comes with the Ubuntu LiveCD. You just need to enable the LiveCD as a repository. To do this just open Synaptic Package Manager, then click on Settings, Repositories and enable the Ubuntu Cdrom as a repository. I have one of this little wireless USB Adapters and it works excellent. I have another link for the drivers in case someone needs them Here it is. Good luck!
    Thanks you very much I have modify the instruction above.
    I did not know that it is in the liveCD that I use for installation.

EDIT 10/04/2009 = It work 100% I(aimwin) confirm this and I have edit my tutorial above.
    Thanks Jualin again.
    Last edited by aimwin; April 11th, 2009 at 01:42 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast