Tutorial to install wpn111
no command lines, Using only Ubuntu GUI
Part 1 is for Ubuntu 9.04 only (Lubuntu 11.04 will not work)
Part 2 is for Ubuntu 8.04 and Lubuntu 11.04
I am not sure if Ubuntu 8.04 will work with PART 1. I have no time to test it yet.[/COLOR]
UBUNTU 9.04 (confirm 26/06/2009-using live CD)
In Brief I used LiveCD 9.04 Release 5.0 (2.6.28-11-generic (#42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 01:57:59 UTC 2009)-from sysinfo)
1. Use System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager to install "ndiswrapper" from LiveCD 9.04
(just key "ndis" in the search box)
2. select install "ndisgtk" (and 2 others will be included) click "Apply"
3. Plug in your wpn111 and wait till the blue light blink.
-----step 4, 5, 6 are just to verify that wpn111 is detected by Ubuntu 9.04 ------
4. Use System/Administration/Widows Wireless Drivers (new item created after step 2)
5. Ignore Error massage said "Unable to see if hardware is present" and press ok
Just one of the bug? may be??
6. Ndiswrapper should display "Hardware present: Yes" wait 2 minutes for wpn11 to search for wireless network, before go to next step.
7. Left click "NetworkManager Applet 0.7.0.100" on the top right hand side of "Panel"
You should see the wireless network,
Left click to log on.
8. I use WEB 128 share key "Access Point" - connected immediately, no hiccup, NO REBOOT during setup.
--------End Tutorial PART 1 ---------
Tutorial For Ubuntu 8.04
and LUBUNTU 11.04 Linux 2.6.38-8-generic (i686) (10 JUNE 2011)
YOU SHOULD HAVE FRESH INSTALL UBUNTU FOR THIS TUTORIAL
comments from others in the thread.
"Fresh install on Hard Disk should result the same way as tompic823 of post 22 below (Thanks a lot tompic823) has reported, and "agitated" me to do this new tests and new brief tutorial for Ubuntu 9.04.
tompic823 said in post 22 (26/6/2009)"This works great for me on a clean install of Ubuntu 9.04 with my USB WPN111. Thanks so much!"=Thanks to you too.
How ever I got problems with 9.04 updated from beta.
(Ubuntu 9.04 beta, will not work with this tutorial, I waste 5 hours on it, gave up for now.10/4/2009),
Also I cannot get it work with my Ubuntu+Edubuntu+Remix 9.04-beta-updated
but because "tompic823" said he did it success with "CLEAN" installed 9.04,
so I spend a couple of hours, to do install wpn111 with LiveCD 9.04 twice work 100% no reboot during setup.
"tompic823 and my experience confirm that if you have problems with 8.04 and 9.04 and wpn111 ---> do a new clean fresh install of UBUNTU should work.
Important Notes: wg111v2 won't works with this tutorial.
It work with another tutorial at this link below
Under this tutorial wg111v2 works for only 3 odd hours and stop work and I cannot get it to work AGAIN,
---I gave up, I can't get wg111v2 work with this wpn111 tutorial. [/url].
My hardware is
Asustek Oem barebone notebook, with cpu intel dual core 1.6GH.
Compaq Presario 2500 P4 celeron 2.8GH
Netgear USB wpn111
Acces Point is NetGear DG834GSP v3 Optus (Melbourne,Aus)-wireless router ADSL2+.
I am only 3 weeks old (1/JUNE/2008 ) Ubuntu user.
Tutorial Start here.
1. I choose to install windowXP Sevicepk3 in the system and also install wpn111 100% results,
to verify that all the hardwares work perfectly for the system, under windowXP.
2. you must have wpn111 drivers in your system, in my case in default netgear installation.
windowXP partition.=> /Program Files/Netgear/wpn111/driver/netwpn11.inf
or download from below
attached file for wpn111 win-drivers.tar.gz
or from the below link which I download only wpn111 files from.
Please follow the instruction to install the files if you do not know how to do with it.
3. In my case I install new Ubuntu 8.04 (I did 3 times just to make sure it works according to this tutorial)
4. From Menu Bar panel, Click=> System/Administration/Update Manager
5. (Connect to Internet-with LAN OR RJ45) Let it update every package on the recomended lists.
(News-from jualin's below post- I confirm 100% work for me on 10/4/2009 = using Compaq Presario 2500 P4 Celeron 512MbRam)
....you don't need to have internet access to install Ndiswrapper since it comes with the Ubuntu LiveCD. You just need to enable the LiveCD as a repository. To do this just open Synaptic Package Manager, then click on Settings, Repositories and enable the Ubuntu Cdrom as a repository....
.and don't forget to put LiveCD Ubuntu in the CD/DVD drive...
Install Ndiswrapper packages.
6. From Menu Bar panel, Click=> System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager
7. Click on search icon, key in search box, ndisgtk , click search
8. check the tick box to install ndisgtk, click apply icon
9. it will pop up new window let you know it has to install 2 more packages,
ndiswrapper-common and ndiswrapper-utils-1.9, click apply icon.
10. RESTART your computer.
Install wpn111 drivers
11. From Menu Bar panel, Click=> System/Administration/Windows Wireless Drivers
(this is new menu, you will not see it before step 6 to 10)
12. Click on +Install New Driver icon.
13. Click on the folder icon at the right hand of Location box.
Then choose the netwpn11.inf(for wpn111)(there is no file by the name netwpn111.inf though the USB stick is call wpn111)
where you have it. ( the worse case use search file function, to search the windowXP partition, or other drive,
don't forget to write the correct name "netwpn11.inf" to search the system.)
14. Then click on open then install
15. plug in your usb wpn111 stick.
16. If the blue led did not start blinking soon, you must use theSHUTDOWN choice to reboot your computer.
(YOU SHOULD NOT USE RESTART,because it proofed that many times it will not work)
17 From right hand of the Menu Bar panel,
left click on networking icon (nm-applet 0.6.6)
and choose the wireless network to log into.
18. If you do the right login password, and choose the right security level type.
You should be on the internet in 10 or 15 seconds.
Wireless setting to use wpn111 with ubuntu 8.04
1. I found no problems with "password type => WEP 128 bit HEX, never miss the internet connection after SHUTDOWN and turn on, more than 40 times now.
Sometimes I found it will not connect to the internet, if it wake up from hibernation, or USE RESTART to RESTART your system. ONLY SHUTDOWN give 100% successful connection when you system is turn on again.
2. With WPA and WPA2 have been a lot of troubles. If you can avoid, you better do that. I don't know if Ubuntu 8.04 has problems with this WPA and WPA2, I used Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 AG (Ubuntu autodetected) and have the same problem with wpn111.
You will have to use manual configuration (left mouse click to networking icon (nm-applet 0.6.6), and choose the buttom Manual Configuration choice.)
After finish setting, SHUTDOWN the system and turn it on again, don't use RESTART, not reliable.
Still with above instruction You should get the connection ok at 60% of the setup.
If you did not get the connection, SHUTDOWN again and turn it on, somtimes I have to do it 2 times to get it work.
And a few times have to pull USB wpn111 out from the slot and insert to usb port only after Ubutu booted half way through.
=== So much problems ++ I have to change the wireless access point to WEB 128bit HEX password type on my home and office.
Thanks for all the Gurus who gave me knowledge on Linux
This tutorial came about after I have succesful installation wpn111 and Ubuntu 8.04 though with great problems using manual installations instruction from
and a few other ubuntu forum threads under search of "wpn111"
But that was also due to my attempts to use WPA and WPA2 as Password type in wireless setting.Attachment 76468