Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GUI installation tutorial for wpn111 and Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: GUI installation tutorial for wpn111 and Ubuntu 8.04

Quote Originally Posted by aimwin View Post
    Thanks you very much I have modify the instruction above.
    I did not know that it is in the liveCD that I use for installation.
    Not too many people know about it. I found out about it a week ago and I was pretty surprised myself. The only think that in my opinion next releases of Ubuntu should include is Ndiswrapper installed by default so users can use their drivers.
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List

Beans

Dear julian

As a new Ubuntu/and linux user (tried linux and chucked it in the bin many times over the last 10 years until I found Ubuntu a only weeks ago).. I have to say I will support your proposal to include Ndiswrapper to be installed by default in Ubutu only if there is an easy ` fuction with that default.

Because I have a bad times try to get wg111v2 working with ndiswrapper, HOURS and HOURS, please look at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...32#post5363332. If you have not look at at before.

I have a hard time to unistall ndiswrapper properly, to the extent that I had to fresh installed ubuntu and found that it did not require anything to make wg111v2 work. It just work out of the Ubuntu box as the GURU, "pytheas22", said.
    (I did what were instructions from many threads, inculding pythease22 but still not work.- I must have done something wrong then?)

So I don't know how many more hardware that will fall under wg111v2 category that it won't work with ndiswrapper, and if you don't uninstall Ndiswrapper completely it won't work.

An for those who are not computer-programmer oreinted mind, will virtually did not know how to do it. I was a programmer, many years ago, still could not uninstall it properly. So only Ubuntu 8.04 fresh install solved my problems.

So in my opinion it should by default "ready to be activated" for installation, only but not install, untill Ubuntu found the hardware that it found to be on the Ndiswrapper full compatible list. Then activate the script to install Ndiswraper and that hardware's window driver.

And there must be GUI-button to completely uninstall and/or "black list" and/or what ever to make sure it is totally disabled so it wont interfere with Ubuntu/linux's process. As it was with my wg111v2.

I just my immediate oppinion that could be wrong though, as I am a new user.

Thanks again, and I will try your "repository" when I got my live CD back.
    Cheer,
    Last edited by aimwin; August 19th, 2008 at 11:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm using wpn111 version 2 of the driver. The only way you can get the device to work after a restart is to wait until after the computer is starting up, then unplug and replug the adapter. It stops blinking then and loads normally. Just make sure you replug it before the Ubuntu usplash screen.

Check out my thread - Can't figure out WPA2

I actually only am looking at this thread because I'm doing a little research to see if anyone else has problems with the WPN111 disconnecting randomly. Anybody else have this problem? I'm using Hardy with WPN111v2, Wicd (alternate network manager) and I'm connecting with WPA2 encryption.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

There are TWO DIFFERENT CHIPSETS used in the NETGEAR WG111v2. Yes, both "v2" with different chipsets and different USB IDs...

via lsusb...

GOOD ONE: ID 0846:4240 NetGear, Inc. WG111 WiFi (v2)
    BAD ONE: ID 0846:6a00 NetGear, Inc. WG111 WiFi (v2)

The GOOD ONE works out of the box with Hardy Heron. The BAD ONE comes up OK initially, but stops working when you attempt to move "a lot" of data through it. Eg. pinging is not a problem, but larege rsync's (eg. apt-get a kernel) makes it drop dead.

The GOOD ONE allegedly uses the p54xxxxx driver; the BAD ONE uses rtl8187.

Of course I have the bad one...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm using a WPN111, not WG111.

Where would you get a good one? I downloaded mine from the NETGEAR site.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.

Beans
    Distro

What tomjennings means with the "good" and the "bad" one is the chipset not the driver. Therefore you cannot get the "good" chipset by downloading the "good" driver (if that makes sense to you). I don't know if someone has asked you to do this but to check which one do you have, go to the terminal and type
    lsusb
    and compare your output with the
    GOOD ONE: ID 0846:4240 NetGear, Inc. WG111 WiFi (v2)
    BAD ONE: ID 0846:6a00 NetGear, Inc. WG111 WiFi (v2)
    Hope this helps you.
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Neither..

Code:
    ID 1385:5f01 Netgear, Inc

Beans
    Distro

I found this post in the forums and it comes with a link for the drivers, maybe you should give it a try. Hope this helps!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Looks like the exact same driver that I was using. I'll give it a shot, though.

Do you think it could be related to the "hardware shutoff" for windows that my computer has, because my adapter doesn't turn off after shutting down. People said it's something with hardware, and I'll have to keep re-plugging the device.

Beans
    Distro

That may be your issue. For instance, in my laptop I have to "Turn on" the wireless switch every time I want to use Wireless since it apparently goes off after every shut down.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast