Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few pre-buy Serval Performance questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

A few pre-buy Serval Performance questions

I'm days away from ordering the Serval Performance, but I had a few pre-buy questions, none of which are deal breakers, I just don't want too many surprises. I read that this notebook was based on the Sagers NP2090/NP2092 notebooks, so I was curious if the Quick Charge and Power USB buttons supplied on the NP2090's worked on the Serval. Also, is the LCD screen matte or glossy? And finally, I was curious of the general heat and noise output on the Serval. I know it's a matter of opinion, but any idea of how much would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: A few pre-buy Serval Performance questions

I just received my Serval about a week ago. I can't speak to the model build, but as for the rest -

It's very quiet, and it runs fairly cool. You *can* notice where the graphics card is if you doing something intensive (games, rendering etc) - it's right in the spot where your left palm rests. So you'll have one warm hand and one chilly hand while gaming

The screen, despite the post in the archives addressing the same question, is glossy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The screen was matte. Now it is glossy again. And (weirdly) I was just told that it could change back to matte again with no notice.

Specifically, it is a...
    15.4" WSXGA+ (1680x1050) Widescreen (glare type) Enhanced Screen Active Matrix TFT

As for the quick-charge button, I'm not sure. I'll have to test on that. The power USB button does work, though.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

I'm looking at getting one of the Serval Performances right now, too. The only thing I really really want is suspend/resume from ram to work as near to perfect as possible. I hate waiting for things to boot....

Also, about the matte now glossy monitor: honestly, I'm a matte all the way. Glossy is for people who never turn their lights on, and I like the lights on, so yeah. Is there a way to request a matte monitor? Or should I just wait until it changes again?

OK, I lied, I really really want another thing: apple bluetooth keyboard support. I have an apple wireless (bluetooth) keyboard that I currently use for the Nokia N810. It's beautiful, small, and great for typing lots, which I occasionally do. Imagine that. I'm definitely getting the Serval with the bluetooth, but I would like to know if it supports bluetooth keyboards. I know the apple keyboard uses a fairly standard bluetooth api or what-have-you, and it works on the n810 which is linux-based.

Anyway, if I could get those two things (or three): suspend, matte, and apple bluetooth keyboard support, that would be fantastic. If not, I might just have to bite the bullet anyway, because I've looked around and System76 can't be beat.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    As for the quick-charge button, I'm not sure. I'll have to test on that. The power USB button does work, though.
    What exactly are these buttons supposed to do? I have the SERP3 and they do not <appear> to do anything, but I would need to know their true function in order to accurately test them.
    Install Pipelight (run Netflix and other VOD services on Linux)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The USB button would allow you to leave a device that charges up via a USB connection in your laptop while the computer is off and plugged in.

I don't think those ever worked on the SerP3. This thread was about the SerP4, which is a completely different MB.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rscottfree View Post
    The only thing I really really want is suspend/resume from ram to work as near to perfect as possible. I hate waiting for things to boot....
    Suspend and hibernate work fine, but it seems to me that resuming from hibernate doesn't save a whole lot of time. I guess it would be useful for leaving a session open and restoring it if you need to unplug the laptop for an extended period, but I normally leave the laptop plugged in and just suspend.
    Nathan Sprangers

Beans

Do the webcam and the fingerprint reader work? Also, if you install a different distro (like Ubuntu Ultimate) does all of the hardware still work or can you only run it with the pre-installed settings? Is the hardware supported only by system 76 or is it made up of components that are supported throughout the linux community? I am very interested in this laptop, but I don't want to buy it and then curse System 76 for the rest of my life.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The web cam does work (with programs that support the v4l2 protocol: Ekiga Softphone, Cheese, Skype, etc...).

The fingerprint reader is not yet supported under Linux.

We only test with and support Ubuntu (Gnome). Our System76 driver, which patches holes in vanilla Ubuntu will run on Kubuntu and Xubuntu, however, we do no testing with those variants and can't guarantee full functionality. That said, a good number of our customers are running Kubuntu successfully.

As for other linux distros, we do not test with them, so we cannot guarantee full functionality with them. We do provide our customers with whatever info we can to help get their computers running under other distros.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I am also considering purchasing a Serval Performance and I have a couple more questions:

Is there work being done on getting support for the fingerprint reader?

Can I order it with Kubuntu installed or must I install it myself (it's not a problem, I'd just like to know)?

Is the card reader compatible with my Type II Sprint broadband card?

Thanks
    --Windows free since 2007!
    --5 computers w/LinuxMint and counting...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast