Thread: Pangolin vs Serval

Beans

Pangolin vs Serval

So what exactly is the difference between the Serval and Pangolin? The two seem fairly similarly specced to me. I haven't found anywhere this is clearly discussed (oddly, there was a darter vs. Serval thread, but those are obviously two totally different machines).

When I look at the two side by side (and step up the Pangolin processor to be the same as the Serval's) the only clear differences I can see are:

-higher screen resolution in the Serval
    -Serval is 0.3 lbs heavier
    -9-cell vs 6-cell battery (but 6-cell Pangolin has a longer life)
    -$100

Also, the Serval lists "S-video" and the Pangolin doesn't, even though there's clearly a S-video jack. Does the Serval support that output and the Pangolin not?

Just trying to figure out if the extra $100 will buy anything more than higher screen resolution. Somewhere in the next 6 - 8 months I'll be buying a new day-to-day laptop, and I'm seriously considering S76. But these two machines have me a bit unclear.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Pangolin vs Serval

When I look at the two side by side (and step up the Pangolin processor to be the same as the Serval's) the only clear differences I can see are:

-higher screen resolution in the Serval
    -Serval is 0.3 lbs heavier
    -9-cell vs 6-cell battery (but 6-cell Pangolin has a longer life)
    -$100
    The Serval starts off with a much better base processor too -- a T5750 vs a T1400.

Also, the Serval lists "S-video" and the Pangolin doesn't, even though there's clearly a S-video jack. Does the Serval support that output and the Pangolin not?
    Correct.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Re: Pangolin vs Serval

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    The Serval starts off with a much better base processor too -- a T5750 vs a T1400.
    Right, understood. But my comparison ($100) accounts for upgrading the Pangolin's processor to the same one the base Serval has.

Other than the screen resolution, battery, and S-video thing, are these units basically the same? Or is the Serval more robust in some way, or does it have a better MoBo, etc?

Just curious how these two differ so I can decide if it's worth the extra money.