Thread: Evolution outbound email custom port configuration

Beans

Evolution outbound email custom port configuration

My ISP "Comcast" has contacted me saying they believe that I have a virus and that they believe that my computer is being used to send outbound spam email. They have cut off my outbound service until I change my port from 25 to 587 since 25 is the usual port used to control computers sending out spam on someone else's machine. I cannot find where to change this as I know immediately where to do this on other email programs. Please direct me. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Evolution outbound email custom port configuration

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC1 View Post
    My ISP "Comcast" has contacted me saying they believe that I have a virus and that they believe that my computer is being used to send outbound spam email. They have cut off my outbound service until I change my port from 25 to 587 since 25 is the usual port used to control computers sending out spam on someone else's machine. I cannot find where to change this as I know immediately where to do this on other email programs. Please direct me. Thank you.
    Try going into evolution where you list your smtp server then add port 587 so it looks like this: smtp.something.com:587 and that should work.

Beans

This was of great help and solved my problem. Thank You!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by Seisen View Post
    Try going into evolution where you list your smtp server then add port 587 so it looks like this: smtp.something.com:587 and that should work.
    I had the same problem with Evolution, but I tried this and still didn't work. Is there another way of changing ports? I'm about ready to give up on Evolution, but I don't want to because I like it and I have it just the way I want it! (Except for the small detail of not being able to send emails anymore now!)
    Head-in-Clouds
    Embrace change!