Thread: Mythbuntu is installed correclty, and configured, but "watch TV" doesn't work, HELP!!

Beans

Mythbuntu is installed correclty, and configured, but "watch TV" doesn't work, HELP!!

I've tryed mythdora, and mythbuntu, and mythdora had more problems but this one seems to be the same with both programes.

unlike mythdora, mythbuntu actualy recognises all my hardware, and its all installed and configured correctly.

MythTV is also fully configured and recognises all associated hardware and software.

everything works, the schedualsdirect, the webTV, everything, eccept the most important. when I click "watch TV" or ty to watch something recorded, the screen goes black for a few secconds then it just returnes to the main menue. I don't understand what is causing this.

I'm very good with computer hardware, and am trained in windows support, but I'm new to linux. it seems to me like everything should be working.

any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

here are my PC scpecs.

ASUS M2N-VM DVI AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7050PV Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 LE-1600 2.2GHz Socket AM2 45W Single-Core Processor Model ADH1600DHBOX

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

WINTEC AMPX 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 3AXT6400C5-4096K

Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350 Video Recorder, TV/FM Tuner Card PCI Interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Mythbuntu is installed correclty, and configured, but "watch TV" doesn't work, HE

Have you checked your mythfrontend logs? You should be able to find them in /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log.

Have a look in there and post anything that looks relevant.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Mythbuntu is installed correclty, and configured, but "watch TV" doesn't work, HE

I had that problem, was driving me nuts, to this day I am not sure what it was, but what solved it was to do the proposed updates, so can only assume it was either a kernel or nvidia driver problem. I must admit I tend to think it was the Nvidia driver.

Regards Paul.
    Infamy, Infamy, they all got it in for me!

Beans

Try my kernel first

I assume your machine is 64bit? - these packages are for 64bit kernel only, the link i supplyed is for i386 kernel.

I did another link, which you have downloaded as well - 64bit version (as shown by you post)

Anyway, you need to just install the following:-

If I386 - not 64bit -
    http://gallery.mulberry.towerhamlets...kerneltest.zip

In terminal shell, type as follows
    sudo dpkg -i
    linux-headers-2.6.24-19-mythtv_2.6.24-19.34_i386.deb
    linux-image-2.6.24-19-mythtv_2.6.24-19.34_i386.deb
    linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-mythtv_2.6.24.13-19.42_i386.deb
    linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-19-mythtv_2.6.24-19.28_i386.deb

If you pc is 64bit - generic 64bit kernel
    http://gallery.mulberry.towerhamlets...nelgeneric.rar

In terminal shell, type as follows

sudo dpkg -i
    linux-headers-2.6.24-19-myth64_2.6.24-19.34_amd64.deb
    linux-image-2.6.24-19-myth64_2.6.24-19.34_amd64.deb
    linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-myth64_2.6.24.13-19.42_amd64.deb
    linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-19-myth64_2.6.24-19.28_amd64.deb

Then still in the terminal, type
    sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Find the line # def_options=
    add pci=routeirq
    save,exit
    Type, sudo update-grub
    Reboot machine, select new kernel

For the log files, copy them like this

goto /var/, using a file manager

then create an archive of the log directory
    send it here

I have a pvr-350 card, the latest .19 kernel doesnt work! - use my kernel.

You need to tune the card in properly - http://hausheer.osola.com/docs/24

PLEASE SEND you logs here for analyse. will resolve the issue quicker!

Quote Originally Posted by frojoe2004 View Post
    I've tryed mythdora, and mythbuntu, and mythdora had more problems but this one seems to be the same with both programes.

unlike mythdora, mythbuntu actualy recognises all my hardware, and its all installed and configured correctly.

MythTV is also fully configured and recognises all associated hardware and software.

everything works, the schedualsdirect, the webTV, everything, eccept the most important. when I click "watch TV" or ty to watch something recorded, the screen goes black for a few secconds then it just returnes to the main menue. I don't understand what is causing this.

I'm very good with computer hardware, and am trained in windows support, but I'm new to linux. it seems to me like everything should be working.

any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

here are my PC scpecs.

ASUS M2N-VM DVI AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7050PV Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 LE-1600 2.2GHz Socket AM2 45W Single-Core Processor Model ADH1600DHBOX

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

WINTEC AMPX 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 3AXT6400C5-4096K

Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350 Video Recorder, TV/FM Tuner Card PCI Interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

It might have to do with the channel table in the database. I found that for where I live (Netherlands) I had to update the channel frequencies by hand according to a printed table that the cable provider publishes. Mythfilldatabase was simply not picking up the right channels and couldn't correlate with the program guide.