Thread: [SOLVED] Flash seems to be causing Firefox to crash...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

[SOLVED] Flash seems to be causing Firefox to crash...

For about the last 2 weeks or so (I've not kept a very close watch, but that's what it feels like) Flash has been crashing my Firefox about %50 of the time. Up until a couple days ago or so, restarting Firefox also provided me with the option to restore my previous session, a page that had caused Firefox to crash just a moment ago. But often times reloading it quickly in this way would not produce a second crash, at least not for quite some time.

What are some general things that can be done to remedy this type of problem? I kind of have a secondary question that's related to this, because I am curious about the open-source flash player solutions. I often only use flash for videos, and almost never for anything interactive than perhaps a photo slide show or something like that. But primarily, youtube and similar sites. I was wondering if the performance of video playback in any of these alternative players affords you some extra hardware (overlay/video post-processing) features that you can't currently get from the Adobe version of Flash that is currently crashing Firefox sometimes.

Thanks for the help and advice in advanced!

Beans

Re: Flash seems to be causing Firefox to crash...

Yeah, I used to have this.

The way I fixed it was by following this howto here.
    Then I pinned hardy and upgraded Firefox and Flash to the Intrepid versions.

I get no more crashes, but not everything is supported in Flash10 yet.
    So you may get a few flash games that refuse to load (grey box).
    But 99.99% of flash videos play perfect without a crash in sight.

Regards
    Iain
    Last edited by ibuclaw; June 25th, 2008 at 01:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

yeah, i have the same problem. Since the last Flash update, my firefox has been crashing with regularity. (and Epiphany too)
    IN GIRUM IMUS NOCTE ET CONSUMIMUR IGNI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I wanted to give it a couple days of testing before replying back to this thread in particular, but a while back I actually installed the libflashsupport package because firefox was crashing while Ubuntu was still in Beta (so the problem might have been something else...). Anyway, since removing libflashsupport, I don't seem to have the crashing problem anymore. Though better framerates/performance from Flash in general is still to be desired (though it's no big deal).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by diablo75 View Post
    I wanted to give it a couple days of testing before replying back to this thread in particular, but a while back I actually installed the libflashsupport package because firefox was crashing while Ubuntu was still in Beta (so the problem might have been something else...). Anyway, since removing libflashsupport, I don't seem to have the crashing problem anymore. Though better framerates/performance from Flash in general is still to be desired (though it's no big deal).
    i've been ready to pull my hair out (and i don't have much!) removing libflashsupport seems to have fixed the problem for me. thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

same problem here but removing libflash support makes audio in flash videos go away. any clues?