Thread: [SOLVED] No keyboard detected - Press F1 to continue...

Beans

[SOLVED] No keyboard detected - Press F1 to continue...

Hi,

I guess you've already heard about that stupid thing most (if not all) PCs say when they boot with no keyboard attached:
    "Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue..."

Do you know if there's a way to tell my comp to boot without any keyboard? I obviously dont need one since i dont even have a monitor connected (except for debugging locally). Do I have to set it in the BIOS or in some boot routine?

Thanx
    Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Re: No keyboard detected - Press F1 to continue...

I thought it was only old computers that give this warning. As far as I know, most new (as of 1998 or so?) don't show this warning and will boot fine without it. If you're getting this message, then you should try to update your bios and see if the message goes away. The computer should be able to boot with no keyboard without a problem.
    Dell XPS M1530
    Core 2 Duo T8100 @ 2.10GHz | 4GB RAM
    320GB HDD | 256MB nVidia GeForce Go 8600M GT
    Registered Linux User: #441660 | Registered Ubuntu User: #11700

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

In most (not all) bioses you have an option about what sort of errors should cause the system to halt. eg "Halt on all errors" will cause the pc to stop if the keyboard is missing.
    Usually you can set something like "all errors except keyboard/monitor", or some other setting that tells the bios to ignore a missing keyboard.

Beans

Thanx, I remember seeing that option (halt on all errors). I'll try changing this when I get home.
    Mike