Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: messed up server

Beans

Re: messed up server

seems like I am getting somewhere, where did I go wrong with the commands I first used, i.e:

chown -R sml *

chgrp -R psacln *

should i run this command only from the correct directory, for example, I want to change the owner to lee, do I navigate to the account I setup called lee and change from there?

Beans

Sorry for multiple replies, but no I can login via their remote console, is there anything I can do to reset my login, so that I can safely login via SSH or SFTP?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

chown/chgrp -R are recursive. This means it will go into every directory inside the current directory and change the privileges there too. Depending on how high up you were (how close to /), it could be very bad. Do you have any idea what directory you were in when you issued that command? Or how high up you were (how many directories in)?
    Dell XPS M1530
    Core 2 Duo T8100 @ 2.10GHz | 4GB RAM
    320GB HDD | 256MB nVidia GeForce Go 8600M GT
    Registered Linux User: #441660 | Registered Ubuntu User: #11700

Beans

I have tried to find this out, but its proving to be a little difficult, I had assumed that I had carried it out from the root directory, everything seemed to go down, I had plesk running and that messed up.

I used to be able to login via SSH with root access, however, I can only do this via their remote console, so I am guessing that the server blocked my IP or something.

Is there anything I can do on the remote console to allow me to login again va SSH or SFTP?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

You shouldn't be logging in externally as root anyway. This is a big security risk. Log in as a regular user and su to root. Og course that means you must enable the root account but it appears you already have.

Pleskk is a funny animal. It installs it's own stuff and you shouldn't mess with it unless you wanna break things. I support several Plesk servers.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans

This wont be of help now but I have done similar things so I created a small app to record/repair permissions so checkout: http://code.google.com/p/perms/ for future use.
    In /dev/null no one can hear the kernel panic!
    Don't EVER use sudo rm -rf / . if you don't understand a command check it out first!
    BACK UP YOUR DATA OR YOU WILL LOSE IT!!
    Supergrub - The best thing since sliced bread www.supergrubdisk.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

just logon with the ssh -v and post the screen shot.

This can be a problem with hosts.allow, or /etc/ssh/sshd_config file.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12