Thread: Saving package installation when reinstalling system

Beans

Saving package installation when reinstalling system

Hello!

I'm currently thinking to reinstall Ubuntu on my system. The reasons include upgrading to Hardy (I'm running Gutsy), and the fact that when I boot up now, I get a message about a difficulty initializing Gnome, and I get into what I think is an X desktop.

However, I'm daunted by the prospect of reinstalling all those packages. I must have typed "sudo apt-get install xxx" a half a billion times. In the Synaptic Package Manager window, there's an option that says "Generate package download script" which I thought might bail me out, but when I chose this, and entered a filename and destination, the script it generated was empty -- it just had the line "#!/bin/sh" at the top and nothing else.

Is there any way to save the packages I have now, or some list thereof, so that I can easily reinstall/download them when I redo my system? Any insight anyone might have would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Cooper

Beans

Re: Saving package installation when reinstalling system

The following should give you a list of all installed packages, note that these will include the packages initially installed with the system as well as your dependancies.

Code:
    dpkg --get-selections > isntalled.txt
    This thread may also be useful to you:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ckages-458119/
    Registered Linux User #464572
    journal.ryanhaigh.net
    www.ryanhaigh.net

Beans

I clicked the link you posted, and it looks like what they describe is pretty much exactly what I'm trying to do. Thanks so much!

-Cooper

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have a look here:

http://users.telenet.be/mydotcom/how.../automatic.htm

Look under the heading: Automated software installation or reproducing an existing (model) configuration

Jim