Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can not connect to the internet

Beans

Can not connect to the internet

Serious beginner here. Just installed ubuntu for the first time ever. I'm trying to access the internet, but I can't. I'm on a hardwired connection, not wireless. How do I go about doing this?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Can not connect to the internet

Don't eat yellow snow

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wrtpeeps View Post
    That was when I had kubuntu. It was suggested that I switch to ubuntu, I did so, and still a no go.

Beans

I assume you have network manager installed, what happens when you click on that? It's in the upper right, near the clock, by default. Does it not show any networks available to connect to? Or will it just not connect to it when you try?

Or maybe it says you're connected, but won't let you access the internet.

Basically, we just need more information

Like answering the questions above, and telling us what you have tried already.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ConMan318 View Post
    I assume you have network manager installed, what happens when you click on that? It's in the upper right, near the clock, by default. Does it not show any networks available to connect to? Or will it just not connect to it when you try?

Or maybe it says you're connected, but won't let you access the internet.

Basically, we just need more information

Like answering the questions above, and telling us what you have tried already.
    Not sure about network manager. I've got a network settings thing in the system tab.. I haven't tried much, because I don't know what I'm doing..

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

By the way, by "hardwired connection", you mean ethernet cable, right?
    Don't eat yellow snow

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wrtpeeps View Post
    By the way, by "hardwired connection", you mean ethernet cable, right?
    Correct. It's connected to a hub, which is connected to a router.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

And if you open network manager, what do you see?
    Don't eat yellow snow

Beans

What happens when you go to System > Administration > Network? When that opens, click unlock and enter your password. Then, if "Wired Network" is there, right-click it and click properties, and check to see if it is enabled. If not, enable it.

So is there something in the upper right corner that shows something that looks like a network icon? It may look like two computer monitors overlapping eachother, probably with an 'X' over them since you aren't connected. Is that missing from your taskbar?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ConMan318 View Post
    What happens when you go to System > Administration > Network? When that opens, click unlock and enter your password. Then, if "Wired Network" is there, right-click it and click properties, and check to see if it is enabled. If not, enable it.

So is there something in the upper right corner that shows something that looks like a network icon? It may look like two computer monitors overlapping eachother, probably with an 'X' over them since you aren't connected. Is that missing from your taskbar?
    I have "Wireless Connection - Roaming Mode Enabled" and "Point to Point Connection - This network interface is not connected"

The icon in the top right is two computers overlapped with a triangle with a ! in it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast