Thread: No sound in Javva

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

No sound in Javva

Previously I was able to access Java applets across the web with sound, but for some reason it has stopped working. I have installed Java by Sun Microsystems from the Ubuntu repository (including JRE, packages "sun-java6-bin" and "sun-java6-jre"). I have reinstalled the packages, but with no success. Sometimes the sound will load but the applet will not ("applet bail"). I have only used Java on the MMORPG "RuneScape". The graphics usually load, but now the sound doesn't, other times the applet only displays as a grey-coloured box. (I am using Mozilla Firefox, Java is enabled).

Browser + Version: Mozilla Firefox 3.0
    OS: Hardy (Kubuntu) with KDE 3.5.9 (I do have KDE 4, but it has other issues that cause it to be unusable).

I have tried restarting the sound system, but the sound works OK in the desktop environment, but not in any Java applets. (It does work with Adobe Flash).

I have not tested icedtea Java.

java -version
    yields:

java version "1.6.0_06"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_06-b02)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b22, mixed mode, sharing)
    I have heard the VM (Virtual Machine) does not work well in Ubuntu, but I have found no official response. Any workarounds for this? Note: It had been working before I restarted my computer. (After a power failure, but I believe this to be irrelevant). Graphics and sound had been working before, and occasionally the graphics do not load, although the sound had, now, sometimes the graphics do not load, (there's still no sound), or only the graphics load in the applet (Java's problems can be a nuisance). Would the solution be to use a different compiler/runtime environment/virtual machine? Or is there something else that needs done? Thanks to anyone who can help me, this is rather a depriving situation. (I hope this is not an exact duplicate, I could not find any threads that helped, and I hope this is in the correct category).

Thanks

EDIT: Sorry about the misspelling in the title
    Last edited by PseudoOne; June 29th, 2008 at 04:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: No sound in Javva

Hi.

I play Runescape too, sometimes. I can't offer you a solution to the sound problem. But about the grey box, it seems that selecting "Signed Applet Using SUN Java" has better chances of getting the game to load. However, I'm on Ubuntu and not Kubuntu, using Firefox 3 also. And on my end, "java -version" yeilds:

java version "1.6.0"
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b09)
    OpenJDK Client VM (build 1.6.0-b09, mixed mode, sharing)
    Runescape sounds work fine. But I do experience sound problems when using other Java applets.
    I am a Man of Truth. I am a Free Human Person. I am a Peacemaker.
    ** Independent Multimedia Artist in Pasig **

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I don't see an option for that as right clicking the java applet will give a standard FF right-click menu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The option is on the webpage. Here's a screenshot...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am a Man of Truth. I am a Free Human Person. I am a Peacemaker.
    ** Independent Multimedia Artist in Pasig **

Beans

Could you post a larger image of that? I heard the same thing, but I don't see it on the page.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vinegarcat View Post
    Could you post a larger image of that? I heard the same thing, but I don't see it on the page.
    Select 'Java Options' from the 'Play Now' menu on the menu bar at the top.

Beans

I have the same problem whenever I play the game too. I use Ubuntu and for me, when I have another application loaded that uses sound, java sound will not work. It will work if I close out the other application and reload.