Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help browsing with terminal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Help browsing with terminal

Quote Originally Posted by Gangularis View Post
    I tried doing chown with -hR and -R
    I also tried using gang:gang, as well as gangularis to make them the owner.
    then what happens is a listing of the files being changed goes through terminal, and at the end of each line it says read-only filesystem. basically the output i get looks like this:

Code:
    chown: changing ownership of `Big Rig/Old Desktop Stuff/VirtualDub-1.5.10/VirtualDub.exe': Read-only file system
    chown: changing ownership of `Big Rig/Old Desktop Stuff/VirtualDub-1.5.10/VirtualDub.vdhelp': Read-only file system
    chown: changing ownership of `Big Rig/Old Desktop Stuff/VirtualDub-1.5.10/VirtualDub.vdi': Read-only file system
    chown: changing ownership of `Big Rig/Old Desktop Stuff/VirtualDub-1.5.10': Read-only file system
    chown: changing ownership of `Big Rig/Old Desktop Stuff/VirtualDub-1.5.10.zip': Read-only file system
    chown: changing ownership of `Big Rig/Old Desktop Stuff': Read-only file system
    chown: changing ownership of `Big Rig': Read-only file system
    gang@gang-desktop:/media$

then I go to look at a folder or file's permissions, and it still says "Owner: root" "Group: root"
    it's stuck as read only, and I can't change the access still.
    That is because chown is changing ext3 premissions. NTFS doesn't have such features, so chown wont work. You need to mount the NTFS drive for your user. But someone else can explain this, I'm not that knowledgeable.
    make install - not war!

Oh hai!

Beans

Re: Help browsing with terminal

Geez, I can't believe how complicated this is.. All I want to be able to do is take ownership of the files, so I can delete and edit them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12