Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak's Official Version Of Why They Do Not Supply Drivers For Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Kodak's Official Version Of Why They Do Not Supply Drivers For Linux

Quote Originally Posted by jaypmcwilliams View Post
    In response to daytonageeks letter from kodak- It is TRULY double talk explanation of why they DO NOT want to work with LINUX. After deep research, we've found that the LINUX kernel DOES in fact recognize the printer hardware & the protocols needed to communicate with it. However, they said it themselves, "MICROSOFT WINDOWS". They have an EXTENSIVE contract for ******* licensing but Kodak wanted & needed to keep a corner in the market so they went with a design that would specifically PREVENT development, by others, trying to circumvent paying for Kodak. Kodak actually had issues like Microsoft, "OURS ONLY & PAY FOR OURS OR YOU DON'T EXIST" theory. Texas Instruments did the EXACT same think with there All-in-one media card readers. Devolopers convinced TI to open up. Yet still fight. We have notified Kodak of there yearly lose of MILLIONS from the LINUX community. ATI learned from it's mistakes & now AMD holds them. WOW! now ATI's are wonderful. We are going to try a Kodak ESP series All-in-One & if it fails, so will Kodak sales! We will keep you posted on this. Thank You, Jay

OK. We contacted Kodak about this & we got the same ALL around Double Talk AGAIN. With the introduction of Kodaks' NEW line Of All-In-Ones's, there is NO WAY they could not have see this market! Here's the response we got;

Greetings Jay ,

Thank you for visiting the Kodak web site and your inquiry regarding Kodak support for Linux operating system with Kodak products.

Currently there is no support for Kodak products on the Linux OS by Kodak. Our Kodak software engineers are well aware of the Linux operating system. We appreciate your concern for this operating system and interest in enabling Kodak products to work with it.

We are glad to be of service and are here for you if you need us in the future. If you do reply, please be sure to include any previous e-mail so we may assist you better.

Regards,

Eric H.

Kodak Information and Technical Support

http://www.kodak.com/go/aio

This is the SAME response they have given for the past 5 years pertaining to ANY of there equipment. It seems Kodak is acting like the Microsoft of the new millennium. END

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Wow. Just lost respect for Kodak.

Beans

Hey, I'm still following the thread.

The dev guy hasn't responded, and none of my contacts know anything about this. I know we do have linux drivers internally, and I'm actively trying to get them released.

I'd give it about a month more. I'll see what I can do, but if I can't get the drivers released, then I'm quitting. The problem is, Kodak doesn't know what it's doing. They barely know about linux, and I'm having to guide them through their support options.

I'll check back when there are responses, or if anything happens. Let's all hope for the best.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Kodak's Official Version Of Why They Do Not Supply Drivers For Linux

I really hope kodak releases these drivers soooooon!!! my vista partition will no longer boot! so if not its out the window with the kodak and in with a brother!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Another Kodak ESP3 owner here - amazed that my new printer doesn't work in Ubuntu - and hoping that something will happen sometime very soon to allow me to use this basic piece of hardware with one of the most popular operating systems in the world!

May I join the queue of those all waiting with bated breath?
    Last edited by Pipps; January 11th, 2009 at 08:46 PM.

Beans

Real Reason Why Printers Suck With Linux

because they were too lazy / cheap to support POSTSCRIPT
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." --Yogi Berra

Beans

FYI: It's about one year ago that I stopped buying hardware that does not have Linux drivers, even hardware for use in windows-enviroment @work.

I simply do not support hardware manufacturers that do not support opensource.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have returned the Kodak ESP3.

I cannot have any respect for a so-called 'manufacturer' who does not support linux.

Kodak are a joke. A sad joke.

Beans

Gah, this sucks. I am just now playing around with my Ubuntu partition after leaving it for the past few months, and in that time getting a new printer (ESP3). I knew it was a POS right out of the box, but I figured whatever, as long as it prints. Yeah. No more Kodak for me and I suspect I will have to buy a new printer shortly.

Beans

Well, I suppose it has been a month.

Because of Kodak's inaction and obtuseness in the face of both external and internal inquiries for linux support, I guess we can reasonably say...

It is Kodak's official position that it doesn't, and will never, adequately support Linux or Open Source.

Because of this mind-numbing move on Kodak's part, I have left the company. I recommend any hacker or user to NEVER use Kodak hardware, as it is effectively obsolete. When a company shows such a blatant disregard for the realities of the tech community, it loses all credibility.

Goodbye, Kodak. Requiescat in pace.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast