Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can not connect to the internet

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Can not connect to the internet

I may be mistaken, but is the yellow ! not "limited connection" as opposed to no connection?
    Don't eat yellow snow

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wrtpeeps View Post
    I may be mistaken, but is the yellow ! not "limited connection" as opposed to no connection?
    It's orange. Mouseover says "No network connection"

Beans

Well since Sys > Admin > Network does not show a 'wired connection', it means that either Ubuntu is not recognizing the ethernet port you are plugged in to, or that your wired connection is not working correctly.

So, do you know that you are getting internet through that port, i.e. can you connect another computer through it?

If so, it means Network Manager is not taking any input from your ethernet port. Are you sure you are using an ethernet cord? The port your ethernet cord is plugged into your computer should have three squares and a line on it, not a picture of a phone. I've seen people try to plug in directly through the phone line and not be recognized.

If your internet is working, and you are plugged in through an ethernet port, then we have to figure out how to get it recognized. Can you post the results of
    Code:
    ifconfig

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ConMan318 View Post
    Well since Sys > Admin > Network does not show a 'wired connection', it means that either Ubuntu is not recognizing the ethernet port you are plugged in to, or that your wired connection is not working correctly.

So, do you know that you are getting internet through that port, i.e. can you connect another computer through it?

If so, it means Network Manager is not taking any input from your ethernet port. Are you sure you are using an ethernet cord? The port your ethernet cord is plugged into your computer should have three squares and a line on it, not a picture of a phone. I've seen people try to plug in directly through the phone line and not be recognized.

If your internet is working, and you are plugged in through an ethernet port, then we have to figure out how to get it recognized. Can you post the results of
    Code:
    ifconfig
    I double checked, and it's def. an ethernet port, not the telephone port. Also, this is a super noob question. How do I run the ifconfig command?

Beans

Go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal. Then type "ifconfig" and hit enter. Then just paste those results, please.

Beans

Go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal. Then type "ifconfig" and hit enter. Then just paste those results, please.
    Best I can do is take a picture. I have no way of transferring between these two computers, but I do have a pretty decent SLR to take pictures with.

Beans

Alright, so it seems that your ethernet driver is not recognized by default, since there should be another block with "eth0" instead of "lo". If you go to "System > Administration > Hardware Drivers", does anything show up that looks like it might be for an ethernet driver? It will probably have a red circle next to it since it is obviously not enabled. If one shows up, try to enable that.

If there is nothing relevant there (like if there are only video drivers and such, which we aren't worried about at the moment), try going to "System > Administration > Software Sources". Then click the "Third-party sources" tab and check those boxes. Hopefully there is a source made for your connection type that just isn't in the default repositories.

Beans

Alright, so it seems that your ethernet driver is not recognized by default, since there should be another block with "eth0" instead of "lo". If you go to "System > Administration > Hardware Drivers", does anything show up that looks like it might be for an ethernet driver? It will probably have a red circle next to it since it is obviously not enabled. If one shows up, try to enable that.

If there is nothing relevant there (like if there are only video drivers and such, which we aren't worried about at the moment), try going to "System > Administration > Software Sources". Then click the "Third-party sources" tab and check those boxes. Hopefully there is a source made for your connection type that just isn't in the default repositories.
    Only driver in the hardware drivers was nvidia, so that would be a video driver. In the software sources, both boxes were already checked.

Beans

I've also got a CD here that contains drivers, though I don't know if they'll work with linux. I have to head to work now, but I will check this thread after work to see if I can find any more help.

Thanks a lot guys!

Beans

There were only 2 boxes in Software Sources? What were they? You seem to be missing some.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast