Thread: Please Assist With Monitor Configuration

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Smile [SOLVED] Please Assist With Monitor Configuration

Hi, folks-

I am a newcomer to Ubuntu, and I'm using 8.04 on an AMD Athlon machine. I am using an S3-Virge video card with a HP pavillion v50 monitor. When I installed ubuntu, the OS opted to use a generic low resolution mode, which I accepted on the basis that I would fix it after installation. I fought other battles for a few days (like trying to network with my vista machine, a battle I'm still losing), and revisited the video problem.

I ran the following in the terminal:

sudo displayconfig-gtk

and I set (and the system retained) my video card type. My monitor is not specifically listed as an option, but I tried other HP monitor types that worked for me in some windows configurations. When I rebooted, I got a warning screen saying that I can only run in low resolution mode, and I found that I was reset from the HP monitor back to a low resolution plug and play monitor.

Okay . . . so I used a generic driver that seemed to work well with the "test" button, and clicked "OK". When I rebooted - same thing: low resolution plug and play monitor.

Okay , , , I go into my computer's boot-up options screen, and set the toggle for "O/S detects plug and play" to the 'NO' state. I reboot, Same thing again: low resolution plug and play monitor.

I found that if I saved the revised monitor configuration three times in succession, without exiting the configuration utility, the new configuration stuck.

terry
    Last edited by ttoolin; June 30th, 2008 at 02:15 AM. Reason: I was able to solve this problem