Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless not working...

Beans

Wireless not working...

I made a thread about this before, but then I decided to upgrade to Hardy to see if I could make it work there.

I'm on a Dell Inspiron 1520, and I can't connect to my wireless network with Ubuntu. There is no option for "Wireless Connection" or anything in the Network Manager.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need additional information, please ask.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wireless not working...

What wireless hardware are you using, the built in Intel 4965AGN or an external card or usb adapter. What version of Ubuntu are you running?

Edit: I've come across this page http://intellinuxwireless.org/ which provides an intel driver for linux. It hosts a driver for your internal card if that's the one your use: iwlwifi-4965-ucode-4.44.1.20.tgz
    Last edited by ptn107; June 28th, 2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: addition

Beans

I'm just using the built in one.

Beans
    Distro

Apparently the linux kernel has included drivers for the Intel 4965AGN since 2.6.24. So if your running Ubuntu 8.04 (which uses 2.6.24-19 currently) you wouldn't need the drivers I mentioned above, it should just work.

Beans

Yes, it probably should work, but it doesn't. There's still no option for Wireless Connection.

Beans
    Distro

Other users of the Intel 4965AGN have had better success using a different network-manager than the one provided by Ubuntu. Give 'wicd' a try: http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

Edit: There are Ubuntu installation instructions on the download page. http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php
    Last edited by ptn107; June 28th, 2008 at 06:52 PM. Reason: addition

Beans

Hmm... I successfully installed Wicd, and it can't detect any wireless networks. It just says, "No wireless networks found."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

umm did you upgrade or did you burn a cd and make a clean instalation?
    every time i try to upgrade (through the update manager) i get bugs and end up re-installing the older version, dowloading a cd of the new version and making a clean installation.
    just now i tried upgrading to hardy and got the same error, everything looked perfect but no network. grrr

Beans

Hmm... I just used the Update Manager and updated... I might try just doing a clean installation.

Beans

I decided not to do a new installation with the CD, because it would be too much trouble, and I don't think it would change anything important...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast