View Poll Results: Combine projects to make one even better project?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I like haveing many project to choose from although they are somewhat similar

33 55.00%
  • Yes, combine projects and developer effort

22 36.67%
  • I really don't care!

5 8.33%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Combine projects to make one even better project

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Combine projects to make one even better project

Quote Originally Posted by fatality_uk View Post
    There are merits in combining some projects, compiz-fusion is perhaps one example of a good merge.
    I thought it was just a rejoining of two factions.
    As I understand it, originally Beryl was a split from Compiz?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by gn2 View Post
    I thought it was just a rejoining of two factions.
    As I understand it, originally Beryl was a split from Compiz?
    Yes, it forked, and now it came back. So that is not a good example.

Anyway, Mateo and aysiu expressed my opinion

Isn't it curious that the people voting "yes" are apparently doing so just for the sake of it, since I don't see a reasoning as the ones Mateo and aysiu posted?
    Last edited by reyfer; June 28th, 2008 at 07:21 PM.
    "When you think you have all the answers, Life changes the questions..."
    Registered Linux User # 419353

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Why is it not a good example? By definition, a fork leads to two separate projects. The OP is talking about combining/merging separate projects. A forked project = more than one project, unless my maths is completely wrong.
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans
    Hidden!

I can't imagine how boring that would be if all the projects for one area merged. Like I've said before; people who complain about the amount of distros, and "similar" software don't understand what Linux is about in the first place.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Hidden!

There are simple reasons why free software projects seldom merge.

Starting or forking a project is easy. You only need one person to do that. Growing as a project is also quite effortless from a management perspective - as people come along who want to help, you bring them into the team. While doing this, the source code keeps growing at a steady pace.

Combining two projects is a whole other thing. Now you have your code base, you have your developers, and you have your users. In order to merge you would have to

1) Get your development team to accept it
    2) Discard most of your code (if not all of it)
    3) Find out where you can help in the new project
    4) Get used to a new way of running things.

Of these, number 2 is probably the most important. Merging two projects effectively means discontinuing one of them. Compiz Fusion is no exception - a lot of code had to be rewritten for compability. So the word merging is a bit inaccurate to describe the joining of two projects - it's more like a takeover where one project get the other project's developers.

From a strategical perspective such a move does make sense, but in a world where every programmer is driven by his own motives and can do what he wants, it's not always a good idea.

Beans

OP

you forgot to add option 4

-Depends on the type and maturity of a project, they could merge.

projects like movie makers for linux should merge, because none of them works 100% and can't compete with windows movie maker or apple's movie thing.

in conclusion:

immature projects should merge, but very mature ones don't need to.
    But if you do that, you suddenly no longer have any immature projects with which to mature... just a bunch of big immature projects. This invokes a 'what-if' scenario...
    What if KDE, Gnome, and Xfce were merged?
    What if Open Arena and Nexuiz were merged?
    What if all the Open Source IDEs were merged?
    I'd dare say what if Linux and Windows had merged, but it seems beyond my accepted view of possible scenarios.
    All of those projects were (and some of them still are) immature at one point in time... and those that are not now will probably be eventually (except for Windows ;D). The result of merging any of them would probably be a poor one, and a variable number of people would disapprove in each case... myself in the case of all 4 of them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by fatality_uk View Post
    But what if the immature project is trying to do something radical? What if the approach they take will make a huge difference, but just haven't got up to speed yet?
    that's the point, get them up to speed.

create a base

once the base reaches maturity, they can go their separate ways and fork off all they want.

Mark himself stated this on his blog. Projects need to cooperate more. get up to speed and stop using the "i scratch my itch" approach.

but i don't care if they merge or not, as long as they get up to speed to bring a "competitive" product everything is fine.

else, we'll always have the "linux programs are never ready or missing X feature" thread pop-up again and again.
    Last edited by madjr; June 29th, 2008 at 06:13 AM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    that's the point, get them up to speed.

create a base

once the base reaches maturity, they can go their separate ways and fork off all they want.

Mark himself stated this on his blog. Projects need to cooperate more. get up to speed and stop using the "i scratch my itch" approach.

but i don't care if they merge or not, as long as they get up to speed to bring a "competitive" product everything is fine.

else, we'll always have the "linux programs are never ready or missing X feature" thread pop-up again and again.
    But different people like different bases. If you use distros as an example, there is no one good base distro.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Why don't all the chefs at independently owned restaurants get together to work on one big restaurant together in order to compete against McDonald's?

1. Competition is fun and drives innovation
    2. McDonald's isn't the most popular because it creates the highest quality product
    3. Not everyone likes her food prepared the same way.
    4. More chefs in the kitchen doesn't lead to better-tasting food - just more arguments
    Fantastic comparison. +1
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    But different people like different bases. If you use distros as an example, there is no one good base distro.
    i don't think the distro example is the best one.

distros are downstream.

clearly the OP is referring to upstream.

distros just distribute what ever is available from upstream at the time.

i think the example of a linux movie maker is valid. Over 10 different movie maker projects, but not one really works or can compete with any basic version of windows movie maker (old or new).

we just have one immature project vs another immature project.

and another good example of wasted resources and fragmentation is the dumb rpm vs deb war.

cool, adobe got packages of flash in .rpm , but not in .deb.... or x package is available in .deb but not .rpm or ....

like Mark said, we just "scratch our own itch"

what ever happened to "i scratch your back, you scratch mine" ?
    Last edited by madjr; June 29th, 2008 at 08:40 AM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast