View Poll Results: Combine projects to make one even better project?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I like haveing many project to choose from although they are somewhat similar

33 55.00%
  • Yes, combine projects and developer effort

22 36.67%
  • I really don't care!

5 8.33%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Combine projects to make one even better project

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Combine projects to make one even better project

I would like to start a little debate about the vast amount of ridiculously similar project and if a merge of these projects would be a good idea.

Many projects are very similar! Like Rhythmbox vs. Banshee or Evolution vs. Thunderbird - why not combine the effort and make one amazing product! (I know the projects in the example above have many differences)

I think that projects that have the same purpose can share/combine the same "core" or base, like Ubuntu does it with all it's derivatives. For example for bug-fixing process would benefit form this.

Just think of the success of Compiz-fusion. Compiz Fusion is the result of a merge between the old Compiz community plugin set "Compiz Extras" and the parts of the Beryl project that are independent of the window manager core. The outcome is highly customizable and included in many distributions by default.

Please take a minute to submit your view

//MadsRH

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Combine projects to make one even better project

Why would developers want to merge (ie: throw away) their project and work with another team who started for different reasons?
    Website | Blog | The Arch Hurd Project

If you want to ask about something I posted, send a PM, as I don't watch many threads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Most of those music/video players use the same framework for playback, namely Gstreamer with it's plugin-based architecture, so fixing bugs in playback is already easy. It's mostly the GUI that is different, and I like to have some choice in that manner

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Linux is about choice. There are merits in combining some projects, compiz-fusion is perhaps one example of a good merge. However, one of the driving factors in many peoples decision to migrate to Linux is choice. Look at AbiWord for example. It fits very well into some distros because of it's low overhead. Combining this with OOo would be pointless.
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans

If you go about combining every similar project, you eventually end up with a bunch of bloated projects... for an example of a bloated project, see Inkscape (IMO). Any of these projects that are Open Source, can combine features as they see fit, without becoming totaly convoluted as they would in a merger. Besides that, as Barrucadu was saying, some of these (if not many of these) projects started for different reasons... have ideals that are vastly incompatible, and have goals which are widely different than each other. Then finally there is the user interface present in these programs. For example, I just cant understand the GIMP user interface for the life of me... its an incredibly functional program with a lot of features, but I prefer Kolour Paint simply because I understand it. If these programs were to merge (or rather, if Kolour Paint was canceled, because I really doubt it has anything to add to GIMP), then I, and probably users like me would suddenly be without a maintained image manipulation program... sure we could still use the old one, but eventually it would fall by the wayside... as all unmaintained programs do.

Beans
    Hidden!

Because different people have different visions of what constitutes an "amazing product". Otherwise they would merge. Period, end of thread.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Why don't all the chefs at independently owned restaurants get together to work on one big restaurant together in order to compete against McDonald's?

1. Competition is fun and drives innovation
    2. McDonald's isn't the most popular because it creates the highest quality product
    3. Not everyone likes her food prepared the same way.
    4. More chefs in the kitchen doesn't lead to better-tasting food - just more arguments

Having more people on a project (software or otherwise) has benefits and tradeoffs. If more people work on a project, more discussions need to be had before development can happen, more arguments and disagreements happen before a consensus can be reached, and more infrastructure has to be put into place to manage all the people involved in the project. Sometimes, believe it or not (again, software development or otherwise), one to three people can be more efficient than one hundred.

Beans

I agree with Mateo and aysiu
    Ubuntu = , but I = sometimes so I post s here and get answers then I because I get it ...
    but then I get again.
    Yup, that's pretty much how this place works

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

OP

you forgot to add option 4

-Depends on the type and maturity of a project, they could merge.

projects like movie makers for linux should merge, because none of them works 100% and can't compete with windows movie maker or apple's movie thing.

in conclusion:

immature projects should merge, but very mature ones don't need to.
    Last edited by madjr; June 28th, 2008 at 06:08 PM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    OP

you forgot to add option 4

-Depends on the type and maturity of a project, they could merge.

projects like movie makers for linux should merge, because none of them works 100% and can't compete with windows movie maker or apple's movie thing.

in conclusion:

immature projects should merge, but very mature ones don't need to.
    But what if the immature project is trying to do something radical? What if the approach they take will make a huge difference, but just haven't got up to speed yet?

In addition, you would be amazed at how many projects are started and then fall by the wayside in commercial software houses. Take Adobe, Microsoft, ID, Epic, and hundreds more. I am guessing that their dev labs maybe start 10-20 projects a year that never make it past in-house alpha.

Merging projects could stop innovation!
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast