Thread: Looking for info before I install anything

Beans

Looking for info before I install anything

I have always looked at those cool videos on the internet of people running ubuntu and have always wanted to do it with my computer. I really am interested in it and I also am interested in "Beryl". I am far from a computer expert but I know my basics and can understand most of the tech talk. I am currently running Mac OSX Leopard on both my Macbook and iMac. I want to put my MacBook on ubuntu. From what I understand, the installation process is quite simple, just download the .iso and burn it to a DVD-R. Then install. Before I do any of this I would like to know a few things.

1.) Coming from a system where I use apps like iChat, will I be able to use an AIM client on Ubuntu?

2.) Will I still be able to charge the computer to the same level as with Mac?

3.) Is there an iTunes like application that will play my .mp3, .aif, and Purchased music?

4.) From Ubuntu, can I install Beryl? I picked this video out of YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3p8IBNNd88

It resembled what I would like to see if I we're to have Beryl installed.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Ian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Looking for info before I install anything

Lots of good questions finding answers may be difficult to find but with my general experiences I think I can answer most of your questions:

1.) Coming from a system where I use apps like iChat, will I be able to use an AIM client on Ubuntu?
    Yes there are chat clients available for download and one I know for sure comes stock with Ubuntu 8.04 it's called Pidgin and it is an all in one chat client allowing you to add accounts from msn,google,yahoo,icq,etc.....

2.) Will I still be able to charge the computer to the same level as with Mac?
    If your asking charging your battery to full capacity yes you can charge the computers battery to full capacity. If your asking about life expectancy that is another issue and that varies from computer to computer. On my MacBook Air I get about 3 1/2 hours full use out of a charge.

3.) Is there an iTunes like application that will play my .mp3, .aif, and Purchased music?
    There are many multimedia options for download and use when you install Ubuntu. My personal favorite is Amarok. It can (depending on your iPod) interface directly and sync all your favorites with virtually any file format. As far as your purchased content for Apple I don't believe there are alternatives for DRM protected content maybe somebody else can provide you with details about that.

4.) From Ubuntu, can I install Beryl? I picked this video out of YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3p8IBNNd88
    As far as Beryl is concerned I haven't tried it but I do have Compiz running on my MacBook Air and it has a integrated Intel Chipset. Not bad for a little Compy. Hopefully somebody else may provide you with details about Beryl.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

2 points of clarification:

you don't need a dvd-r, just a cd-r

Beryl is replaced by compiz-fusion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

eddielgarcia has provided excellent answers and I just wanted to add one thing regarding your question about your music: You will need to download the ubuntu-restricted-extras package in order to play MP3 (as well as other restricted formats).

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer regarding the playback of your purchased music without stripping the DRM from the files.

Beans

Thank you so much! I think I will install tonight!

Thanks again for the great answers. I can also strip the DRM by burning the tracks to a cd then re-copying so that should do the trick for me!

Thanks again!

Ian