Thread: My partition is now detected as sda2 instead of sda1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

My partition is now detected as sda2 instead of sda1

I resized my partition using gparted so that I can try dual booting, in order that I can play some WinXP based games. It didn't work out since my XPS M1330 is not friendly toward XP. Because of it, what used to be /dev/sda1 has become /dev/sda2 and what used to be /dev/sda2 is now /dev/sda3.

I finally am able to boot again to Hardy after fixing GRUB. However, when I boot up I get some error messages. I'm not sure from what, but I think something is still looking for the original /dev/sda1.

So the big question, is there a way to make Hardy recognize my partition the way it used to be? Or is this just my punishment for looking back at M$ product? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    System76 Lemu4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: My partition is now detected as sda2 instead of sda1

Can you post the error message? Just a guess, it seems like you did successfully add another partition to your system; if so, perhaps your swap partition is not now being mounted properly. can you post your /etc/fstab, and the output of: sudo fdsik -l
    There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Not sure why, but the error message didn't show up anymore. Not sure if I still have prob;em to resolve. I still don't have sda1, but I guess as far as every is working I guess that is fine. Thanks for helping out lswb.
    System76 Lemu4

Beans

Sounds like it was most likely fstab using your udev-assigned names instead of UUIDs.

If there's any more problems post here, most will be more than glad to help =)