Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Multiple Sound Solution (ALSA w Pulseaudio)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Multiple Sound Solution (ALSA w Pulseaudio)

markbuntu Thanks for the help,
    I ended up going back to Ardour + JACK. Its working good. Now I'm just creating a drum track in Hydrogen, exporting it to file, import that into Ardour and then start laying down tracks in Ardour.
    I open JACK (via qjackqtl) and leave it. When I start Ardour I open a new session, all default and move on. When I add a track in Ardour, JACK is automatically moving my inputs to the new track because Ardour is telling it to. So I'm letting Ardour do the patching work for me. Ardour and JACK were developed by the same guy so I assumed they would work together once configured and they are.
    Even when I did get something going with Audacity & PA it wasn't sounding that great anyhow. That could be my PC, beta ver or bugs or who knows. I'm recording, it sounds pretty damn good, done deal. Now I'll start checking out plug-ins for effects and tweaking the sound.

Thanks again to markbuntu and everyone else posting in the forum/thread it helped me get to a happy place.

Ed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yeah, I don't use audacity, it seems buggy to me as does pulse audio in general. That's why my guide basically pushes pulse off to the side and lets alsa do the heavy lifitng, which it should in my opinion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have made a few minor edits to this guide and added a link to a thread with a possible jack solution. ALso, I thought it could use a bump since I have run into a few recent threads linking to this from satisfied users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by eye208 View Post
    I just switched from 7.10 to 8.04.1 and immediately ran into the notorious Pulse Audio problem. On 7.10 all my applications used ALSA, except for Second Life which required ESD. ALSA and ESD clients worked perfectly side by side, so this setup was 100% trouble-free. SL voice chat, Skype, Flash, Totem, VLC, MPlayer, Blender, Audacity ... everything worked without any conflicts.

These are the steps to configure 8.04 the same way as 7.10:
    1. In System-->Preferences-->Sound, set all devices to ALSA (instead of Autodetect). Disable system sounds but leave software mixing enabled.
    2. In Synaptic, mark "esound" for installation and "pulseaudio" for removal. "pulseaudio-esound-compat" and "ubuntu-desktop" will automatically be marked for removal as well. Apply the changes.
    3. Reboot.
    Wow!!! guy! thank you very much! finally I got multiple sounds in my box!
    After trying many many posts, these few lines, helped me a lot!
    greetings

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

In Hardy, the PulseAudio devs have sneakily replaced esound with a link to PA. So, if you have mixing enabled, it will start PA.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks very much, markbuntu, nice tutorial
    Unfortunately it didn't help with Skype, which stubbornly refuses to let any other application play sound when it's active. I wish I could do w/out it, but until other apps allow me to import skype contacts I'm stuck with it.
    So, no music while on skype , but still you're tutorial helped me understand how things work a little better. Thanks again.

*also, regarding the above post from eye208: removing ubuntu-desktop just to get sound working, and disabling system sounds altogether, doesn't seem like the best solution. If you go to re-install ubuntu-desktop afterwards, it simply re-installs pulseaudio again, along with all those games i'd removed, etc.
    Last edited by Jokimoto; August 4th, 2008 at 08:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Followed all those steps and now I have sound while using multiple applications!Thank you,Mark!

Beans

Thanks eye208. I have been trying for months, without luck, to get sound from flash content on 8.04. This works and everything seems stable.
    Youtube is my friend again.

A happy bass player

Quote Originally Posted by eye208 View Post
    I just switched from 7.10 to 8.04.1 and immediately ran into the notorious Pulse Audio problem. On 7.10 all my applications used ALSA, except for Second Life which required ESD. ALSA and ESD clients worked perfectly side by side, so this setup was 100% trouble-free. SL voice chat, Skype, Flash, Totem, VLC, MPlayer, Blender, Audacity ... everything worked without any conflicts.

These are the steps to configure 8.04 the same way as 7.10:
    1. In System-->Preferences-->Sound, set all devices to ALSA (instead of Autodetect). Disable system sounds but leave software mixing enabled.
    2. In Synaptic, mark "esound" for installation and "pulseaudio" for removal. "pulseaudio-esound-compat" and "ubuntu-desktop" will automatically be marked for removal as well. Apply the changes.
    3. Reboot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Exclamation Re: Multiple Sound Solution (ALSA w Pulseaudio)

The 2nd step in the procedure above asks to remove the file etc/asoundrc.I do not have it there.Instead I found asoundrc in /home/username.
    Do I remove it from there following those steps.I also the file .asoundrc.asoundconf there..Do I need to do anything with that?

I followed all those steps the first time without regard to those files.I got multiple applications to play sound simultaneously.
    But the problem reappears at a random time again.
    A restart solves it until the next time

please help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If you do not have an etc/asoundrc it is not a problem. You shoyuld not remove your asoundrc.asoundconf, it is the default setups for alsa. If you need to change any of the defaults you would do so in either the etc/asoundrc for systemwide changes ( you would need to create this file) or in your~/.asoundrc for the user. Otherwise, you do not need them.

What exactly happens, no sound at all suddenly?
    Which applications are running when this happens?
    What does the PulseAudio Volume Control tell you the different streams are doing?
    Are they there at all?
    Are they playing?
    Are they using the wrong output device?

You can use the PA Volume Contol to change each streams output device, just right click on the playing stream and choose move stream. You can also change the default output device in the Output Device section by right clicking on it.

Sometimes an application will cause PA to rapidly open and close devices until the number of devices it can support (about 800 I think) is exceeded and then it could stop playing any sound or freeze or even crash your system. Flash 9 does this to Pulse Audio and you can watch the device numbers flash up and up in the Pulse Audio Manager/Devices screen when flash 9 is playing without libflashsupport.
    Last edited by markbuntu; August 6th, 2008 at 09:21 PM.

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast