Thread: [SOLVED] Wireless router

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

[SOLVED] Wireless router

I'm looking to buy a wireless N router and I'm wondering what might be the most efficient and easy to setup? I'm running x64 bit Hardy. I have hard wired a second desktop and I have a older Compaq Evo N610C P4 with a wireless G card with Atheros chipset. The second desktop has Hardy 32bit on it. The laptop only has XP Pro on it right now. Does this combination make for a hard setup? I am considering a Linksys N router. I have done a good bit of research and reading on forums about routers trying to evaluate them.Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. Cheers, Retiree

How can I delete this Post?
    Last edited by retiree; July 5th, 2008 at 10:17 PM. Reason: how to delete
    Learning curve's are like life's curves,you will learn one way or the other!

Beans
    Distro

Re: [SOLVED] Wireless router

I purchased a Netgear WNR834B N router and it worked out of the box after I went online and upgraded the firmware according to the instructions first. It has been up several days now without any dropouts. I am still experimenting with the location of the router for best coverage. Right now the router is in a back bedroom and my notebook connects from the living room Ok but not great, even though it still connects to the internet. I'm probably going to look at getting a range extender since this router has internal antennaes. The wpa security works great. My notebook has a wireless G EDUP lan adapter with Atheros chipset and it recognized the router right off. I also have a wired connection running Ubuntu and my primary computer running Hardy. My notebook is running ******* and it only has a 40 gig HD and I can't get Xubuntu to load on it for some reason. I'm planning on upgraded it to a bigger Hd and more ram in the near. My notebook is a Compaq Evo N610C P4 with 512 gig of ram and it does a fair job for what it is. Thought this might help someone, Retiree

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

"512 gig of ram"

!! Surely not!

Beans
    Distro

Yea, I realized after I had posted it should have been 512 MB of ram!!! Did not want to go back and fix it. Sharp eye you have there!!

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I did that the day I installed the router. I did it thru the router setup. Still works great!! Have a nice day