Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install and configure i8kmon for configurable automatic fan speed control

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install and configure i8kmon for configurable automatic fan speed control

One solution would be to write a script with similar functionality as i8kmon to monitor core temperature through the sensors. This would avoid microfreezes which only happens when accessing /proc/i8k . The i8kfan command seems to work properly. I found such script here in post #9 https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=780692

Though there are problems with this script - it uses ACPI temperatures which are generally lower on my system, the coretemp-isa-0000 bus readings would be better.

Also the script fails to separate temperature reading from the acpi command output - probably because on my system acpi -t output is two lines (for two cores) and original was one line (one core). Someone more fimiliar with sed command can help here.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install and configure i8kmon for configurable automatic fan speed control

Some followup in this selftalk:

The script linked in previous post can be made working for two cores by updating line 15 this way:

temp=`acpi -t | grep "Thermal 0" | sed -e 's/\(\.[0-9]\+ \)\?degrees C$//' -e 's/^Thermal 0: ok, //'`

Anyway script is not of real help, because apparently i8kfan causes microfreezes too.

Beans

Any progress on fixing the issue with i8k microfreezes?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I have a Inspiron-7520 ( 15r special edition with 3rd gen i7)

This tutorial worked for me (the first post)

Open up a new file called /etc/i8kmon:
    I also create /etc/i8kmon.conf (with same contend)

The FAN problem is gone.

But I noticed that the temperature was getting too hot (around and above 70°C)

Then I turned off the Discrete video card and the temperature now its around 60°C

There are tons os questions at ask.ubuntu about FAN, the answer for many people is here at the first post (even being a very old post)

Beans

Thank you so much for this. Can't believe I've finally found a fix for my noisy fan problem.

I have the same laptop as ozp above - thank you as well for showing up in a google search!

As an added step, in case others run into this, I was getting an error after initially following the instructions: can't find package Tk 8.5. To solve this I removed and updated tk and tcl:

sudo apt-get remove tk8.4 tcl8.4
    sudo apt-get install tk8.5 tcl8.5

Cheers.

Beans

Hello all.

I'm updating this package, and the source code is here at

https://launchpad.net/i8kutils

and the *.deb are at my ppa

ppa:vitorafsr/ppa

I welcome any feedback. For now I'm fixing bugs. And a plan for future releases are at

http://registrosdeengenharia.blogspo...l-laptops.html

Cheers.

Beans

Hello, I have an Inspiron 7520 SE laptop and I'm experiencing the fan problem. Although I installed i8kmon, I couldn't make it run automatically with the parameters -a and -d (automatic and without the user interface). apt-get couldn't find gnome-swallow-applet and I have no idea how to add this app to startup list. Also can anybody explain how to install i8kutils above? This is my very first hours with Linux and I'm trying to learn the basics, but fan sound is really annoying.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

read carefully the first post.

LE.
    instead of "i8kmon" file, it should be named "i8kmon.conf"
    Last edited by rrich1974; June 15th, 2013 at 09:52 AM.
    dell inspiron 1521, AMD Turion, ATI mobility radeon x1270.

Beans

The first message could maybe be updated:
    Quote Originally Posted by motin View Post
    Here is how to install i8kmon and set it up with sane settings for a XPS M1330:
    3. Add "options i8k force=1" on a new line in /etc/modprobe.d/options
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/options
    If I'm not wrong, on recent Ubuntu releases (at least for my 12.04 version) the "options" file has been replaced by files with the .conf extension. The filename doesn't matter, it just has to be something like filename.conf .
    Last edited by ppierpaolo; June 15th, 2013 at 10:56 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vitorafsr View Post
    Hello all.

I'm updating this package, and the source code is here at

https://launchpad.net/i8kutils

and the *.deb are at my ppa

ppa:vitorafsr/ppa

I welcome any feedback. For now I'm fixing bugs. And a plan for future releases are at

http://registrosdeengenharia.blogspo...l-laptops.html

Cheers.
    I tried the new version from the ppa. My system is Dell Vostro 3360. The problem with i8k is that it introduces microfreezes any time the system is polling for the temparature and fan or is setting fan speed. This makes the utility unusable. Same with the version provided by ubuntu and this one. Would be very nice if you can debug this.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast