Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install and configure i8kmon for configurable automatic fan speed control

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install and configure i8kmon for configurable automatic fan speed control

Looks like this thread has been dead for a while. I have a Dell Inspiron 1564 that is about 1 year old. Should I use i8kmon?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO: Install and configure i8kmon for configurable automatic fan speed control

Sorry for sounding noob but I installed i8kmon as given here but I can't seem to get the details related to my current Cpu Fan RPM and what is the exact CPU temperature.
    I am using Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop dual core. using Kubuntu 11.04 64 bit OS.

i8kmon shows some number like 52 50 and keeps changing...

I don't know what that number is. Please help.

(EDIT) P.S.: I got it working I upgraded the Kernel to 3.0 and i8kmon is working !! I can see the Fan RPM in the plasma widget FANSpeed. the Fan works just normal. with CPU temp mostly in 39C- 47C.
    Last edited by FerroPower; August 22nd, 2011 at 12:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hello, i have been looking at this subject- all about the net, the Dell (e1505/6400) i am using just doesn't turn on the fan at all..
    Using i8kmon; the CPU will heat up well past 50c even with the settings i copied exactly from the tutorial (first post). I can manually turn on the fan when i see it is getting hot, sure, but much rather, how can i just set up the fan to be always on? Sound doesn't bother me. Level 1 keeps the CPU a max of 29c this is perfect.

Can someone explain how to set this so i never have to bother with it again? ubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Jakin View Post
    <snip>
    Can someone explain how to set this so i never have to bother with it again? ubuntu 10.10
    My only useful advice is upgrade to 11.10.

Beans

Hello,

I have a Dell Vostro 1500 with Ubuntu 12.04. I have tired things from a few different forms without success. My temp range is between 47C - 60C. Mostly in the upper 50's. The fan speed is showing as right fan 0 but I can hear the fan running at times but just not at high. I believe I only have one fan. I had a few questions:

1) Does the issue with Dell's still exist in 12.04?

2) I was able to perform the steps on page 1 of this tread successfully, but the fan is not kicking into high. How can I can I set it to go on high through the config?

3) I have crellm installed for monitor. Is there something better I can use?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: HOWTO: Install and configure i8kmon for configurable automatic fan speed control

Hello and sorry for necroposting but for future googlers :

The stuff described in the first post worked for me :
    Ubuntu Server 12.04, fans were at full speed after kernel update, pwmconfig detected nothing.

Do stuff described in post #1, and add this to /etc/rc.local to have the fan spin down after boot
    Code:
    (sleep 60; i8kfan 1 1) &
    Here is my machine :
    Libsmbios version: 2.2.28
    Product Name: PowerEdge SC440
    Vendor: Dell Inc.
    BIOS Version: 1.5.0
    System ID: 0x01DF

And the error message for googlers :
    /usr/sbin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed
    Flood.fr, the neverending troll (french forum).

Beans

Great thanks I installed everything as the post #1 and see a difference but what is this suppose to do again?

(sleep 60; i8kfan 1 1) &

Also I have a dell Vostro 1500 with only fan but that fan is showing as 0 RPM. I know physically the fan is running. What can I do to have the fan speed show up correctly?

Here are my system specs:
    MEM: 2.0 GiB
    processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T5270 @ 1.40GHz × 2
    Graphics: GeForce 8400M GS/PCI/SSE2 using
    OS TYPE: 32-bit

Beans

Hello, I installe i8k on my Dell Vostro 3360 with Ubuntu Precise 12.04. It works as expected although when i start i8kmon it causes computer to microfreeze every time the deamon checks the temperature. This makes it quite unusable. It seems the freeze is caused whenever i8kctl or i8kfan is executed by the daemon.

Even just running "cat /proc/i8k" causes system to freeze for a quarter of second.

Any hints?
    Last edited by michalt; September 8th, 2012 at 01:01 PM.

Beans

Hi, I have the same problem on 3360 with 12.04 and i8kmon. I don't know how to fix it, but advice you to update BIOS. As Dell support site states they have updated Fan/Thermal table in last version (which is A04).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kuknick View Post
    Hi, I have the same problem on 3360 with 12.04 and i8kmon. I don't know how to fix it, but advice you to update BIOS. As Dell support site states they have updated Fan/Thermal table in last version (which is A04).
    I have A04 here so problem still persists. (Anyway flashing the Dell BIOS on Linux is problem of it's own and I'm bit distracted by the fact I totally bricked my HP 43320s while flashing two weeks ago).

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast