Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install and configure i8kmon for configurable automatic fan speed control

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install and configure i8kmon for configurable automatic fan speed control

Quote Originally Posted by jmjohn View Post
    Using 18kmon may be no longer necessary, it's best to update the bios first and see if this fixes the problem.

Here's info on the bios update: http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php...dellBiosUpdate

On my Dell XPS M1330, fan speeds seem normal after a bios update and switching to the nvidia 173 driver on Intrepid, though the fan seems to run more than normal after wakeup from sleep (anyone else have this problem?). It seems the fan can't shut down once revved up after wake up.
    -glass.dimly
    Hello everyone, I have an XPS M1330 too. My fans are very loudy. As suggested above, I tried to upgrade my Bios but it seems it is the last version (A15).

Any idea?

Thanks in advance,
    Giovanni

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install and configure i8kmon for configurable automatic fan speed control

I am tryig to follow this guide for my C400 as I used the windows version of this app with great success.

In the howto that this thread starts with it says to add an addtional line to /etc/modprobe.d/options however on Ubunto 9.10 Koala the modprobe.d folder is not present so I can't find the options file to add a line.

Any guidance or update of this howto would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by stu002 View Post
    I am tryig to follow this guide for my C400 as I used the windows version of this app with great success.

In the howto that this thread starts with it says to add an addtional line to /etc/modprobe.d/options however on Ubunto 9.10 Koala the modprobe.d folder is not present so I can't find the options file to add a line.

Any guidance or update of this howto would be appreciated.
    Skip this step; Karmic 9.10 doesn't need the force.

Beans

edit: ok, i achieved to configure i8k and now i got a problem:

one fan seems to be stucked. the left small button in i8kmon is red. which fan is it? i got an inspiron 6400 with a Dual Core.
    sometimes there is quite a big difference between the temperature of the cores (about 5-6 °C) anything to worry about?

Just to check whether I understood i8mon: right now this is my configuration. As I don't have a battery, the last rows are not interesting for me.

# For computer with 2 fans, use a variant of this instead:
    Temperature thresholds: {fan_speeds low_ac high_ac low_batt high_batt}
    set config(0) {{-1 0} -1 52 -1 65}
    set config(1) {{-1 1} 45 66 55 75}
    set config(2) {{-1 1} 55 80 65 85}
    set config(3) {{-1 2} 70 128 75 128}

set config(1) is the fan speed. the first two numbers in the brackets are to identify the fans, are they? the following two are those of interest for me: the first is at what temperature to stop the mode and the 2nd at what temperatur to start. right?
    right now the fan cools down till 41. which shouldn't be the case, right? any way to check whether i8mon really is active?
    Last edited by Pifilatakanemu; November 12th, 2009 at 01:48 PM.

Beans

With Karmic, it is i8kutils version 1.31. So, to configure i8kmon, the configuration file is : /etc/i8kmon.conf.

With the old file /etc/i8kmon, it doesn't work.

Beans

Thanks for the hint. I tried to make i8kmon work once again today and now it seems to work... theoretically!

In practice, the values in i8kmon.conf are mainly ignore. The fan just cools the CPU down to about 30° in "steps" (it cools for some seconds, than stops for a second, than continues etc.) which is really annoying!

This is my i8kmon.conf:

Code:
    # Run as daemon, override with --daemon option
    set config(daemon)      1

# Automatic fan control, override with --auto option
    set config(auto)        1

# Report status on stdout, override with --verbose option
    set config(verbose)    1

# Status check timeout (seconds), override with --timeout option
    set config(timeout)    30

# Temperature threshold at which the temperature is displayed in red
    set config(t_high)    75

# Temperature thresholds: {fan_speeds low_ac high_ac low_batt high_batt}
    set config(0)     {{0 0} -1 60 -1 55}
    set config(1)     {{0 1} 50 70 50 60}
    set config(2)     {{0 2} 60 80 55 125}
    set config(3)     {{0 2} 70 128 10 128}

#set config(0)   {{- 0}  -1  60  -1  55}
    #set config(1)   {{- 1}  50  70  55  70}
    #set config(3)   {{- 2}  75  128  70  128}

# end of file
    Any suggestions about what to do?

Beans

I am also having the same problem as Pifilatakanemu, i8kmon will set the fan speed and another program or the dell bios will change it back to whatever speed it wants.

I think if we change the timeout from 1 second to 200 miliseconds it will fix this problem, since i8kmon will enforce the desired settings more often, almost immediately overriding the settings the dell bios sets.

I tried setting the timeout to .2 in /etc/i8kmon.conf and restarting i8kmon but i got the following error:

expected integer but got "200.0"
    while executing
    "after [expr $config(timeout)*1000] {status_timer}"
    (procedure "status_timer" line 7)
    invoked from within
    "status_timer"
    (procedure "main" line 6)
    invoked from within

Can anyone help me change the timeout please?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by rp88 View Post
    Can anyone help me change the timeout please?
    No luck here, it seems to work only on 1 second timeouts for me.

Beans

Post #9 states there is a hack workaround, anyone know what hes talking about?

EDIT: got it.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...95&postcount=3
    top of post
    Last edited by palmboy5; June 26th, 2010 at 08:58 AM.

Beans

It seems for any fan speed that isn't "0", even with a 50ms timeout period the fan still spins up every few seconds.

Also, by setting the script to be run as a startup application, a new instance of it will be run if you log out and log back in. This is pretty stupid, is there a way to autostart this program only once each boot, no matter what happens?
    Last edited by palmboy5; June 28th, 2010 at 02:14 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast