another note: that was XP.
    via ISO it did the same thing.
    right now i am trying win2000
    later ima try some other linux distros in there
    long night + me = bored
    bored + time = fiddling

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install Windows XP/2000 in VMWare Player

I have to admit I am totally smitten by this software. On my Athlon 2500 w/512 Megs of ram Windows 2000 runs nearly flawless. I'll have to try to edit my vmx file to get it read my DVD burner and DVD rom and then I'll be totally set. This was super easy to setup and just blows my mind that it can run as fast as it does. Anway...good walkthrough and great software. I would say anyone who needs a Windows App under Linux definitely go this route.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Installing and running windowx xp inside Linux thru vmware player is great.
    I can have a windows specific software installed in windows xp inside linux.

But what if i connect to the internet from Windows XP inside vmware?
    Can I share that connection outside vmware? Or in the host(on the same machine)?
    Can I share that connection to the other workstations in my LAN?

Actually, thats my problem regarding the internet connection. The accelerator/drivers for my modem is a windows based only. The accelerator won't install and run using wine. The accelerators, Internet Page Accelerator, and Internet over Satellite Accelerator that comes with my modem is windows specific software.

Beans

I have network issues to.. unable to astablish an Internet connection... Anyone knows ?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

ok, ive tried win2000 via CD, winXPhome via CD, WinXP Pro via CD, winXP Pro ISO, and DamnSmall Linux, everything stops and either powers off the virtual machine or just stops when it hits network detection.

WinXP (all) virtual machine powers off abruptly

Win2000 (workstation) hardware detection dialog stops when bar is full. can still move the window around, move the mouse, but buttons are greyed out and system doesnt proceed with install.

DamnSmall Linux (bootable CD) virtual machine powers off abruptly at network detection

Any help?
    I'll be trying reinstalling vmware player later today, and doing the network differently.

Beans

Fixed my problem by adding the following line:

ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"

Now Internet works... next step would be to enable networksharing trough samba... any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

sudo apt-get samba
    man samba
    google samba
    search ubuntuforums samba

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

udpate: windows XP and 2000 AND 98 all stall either during or at the end of hardware detection! other linux's work just fine.. any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by mingus
    Excellent thread . . . so just fwiw, thought I'd throw in my two cents after installing on two machines . . .

Re post #83, unable to get the display to work - note the video controller that Windows plug-n-pray has detected and for which there is no driver. That is blocking the display adapter driver from loading. Uninstall the controller and then reinstall as a new display adapter the vmware svga driver.

Re networking, sharing files, samba, etc. . . . my systems are all on a LAN, one of the two with vmplayer uses wireless, there is also a printer, all hung off a router. For the wireless system, I found I could not simply specify NAT in the player; could not find the router's DHCP server. So I config'd vmplayer vmnet0 to wlan0, vmnet8 as NAT, and vmnet1 as host (same as wireline system except vmnet0 there is eth0). The wireless system needed to be assigned a static IP. With Samba installed, all the systems can see one another as normal (smb.conf is configured with "netbios-name = <system-name>" and "security = share").

Only -minor - hiccup I've got is that I had to change the vmx file in order for the CD device to be recognized but now when a CD is placed in the drive *both* Ubuntu and Windows open it.

So far all is working well. On my SuSE system I have Xen but have not played with it yet, anyone given that a try for comparison? Seems to me that virtualization is *the* ticket to putting Windows permanently in the back seat.
    What static IP did you give the wireless system - because my system is also having problems with the wireless ath0 net.

Beans

First of all i just wanted to say that this thread is really nice i could install winxp and everithing works fine but 3d graphics (i new it would not work, in advance)
    It is really cool. I can only compare with qemu but vmware seems much more smooth than qemu and easyly connects usb devices.
    Now I have a question. One of my friends lended me the install disks of his ibook g4. So my question is if it is possible to install os x on vmware and how to do so. And finally one more question how to install a linux inside vmplayer (i would like to try out some live cd-s etc.

thanks in advance

Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast