Thread: Network Manager + MadWiFi Drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Network Manager + MadWiFi Drivers

Hi there everyone, I am total newbie to Ubuntu and so far I'm enjoying every minute. However i am stuck with a couple of things, please can someone tell me how to disable network manager and how to enable it again should i get stuck setting up my accounts manually. Also i am trying to install the madwifi-ng drivers for my WiFi card but when i try to remove the already loaded modules,, I am told "permission denied cant remove" even though i am logged in as root.

Thanks Paul

Beans

Re: Network Manager + MadWiFi Drivers

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcabs View Post
    Hi there everyone, I am total newbie to Ubuntu and so far I'm enjoying every minute. However i am stuck with a couple of things, please can someone tell me how to disable network manager and how to enable it again should i get stuck setting up my accounts manually. Also i am trying to install the madwifi-ng drivers for my WiFi card but when i try to remove the already loaded modules,, I am told "permission denied cant remove" even though i am logged in as root.

Thanks Paul
    When you say you are setting up your accounts manually, do you mean with ifconfig and iwconfig? You don't need to disable network manager that I'm aware of if you set up your connection manually with ifconfig/iwconfig; just don't open network manager and change anything with it.

And are you aware that Ubuntu all ready comes with the madwifi drivers preinstalled? You shouldn't need to install madwifi unless for some reason you need the latest svn release or something. Also, to remove modules you would use "sudo modprobe -r <module name>", and you don't want to physically move the module file to uninstall it.

What is your atheros chipset that you are trying to use with madwifi? (i.e. what does the output of "sudo lshw -C network" return for your wireless card?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Network Manager + MadWiFi Drivers

Thanks for replying caljohnsmith for some reason i thought that if i disabled Network manager i would no longer be able to connect to the net unless i configured my eth0 & ath0 devices manually ifconfig iwconfig etc. Also i did'nt realize that Ubuntu came with the madwifi drivers already installed, as for the chipset its a ar5212. Maybe i should start over as i have already updated to the most recent madwifi drivers