Thread: ubuntu booting in 800x600 everytime ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

ubuntu booting in 800x600 everytime ...

after I update my pc..the nvida driver was gone, and I ended up installing the nvdiang-gtk application, after that I was able to get my screen working again, but now every time I boot the pc I get an 800x600 screen and then an out of screen "login screen" in which I can even see when I'm typing my login username and password, has anyone come across something like this and knows how to fix it?

thanks
    looking for tips and tutorials, checkout
    http://www.pctechtips.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: ubuntu booting in 800x600 everytime ...

are you using the propietary driver from nvidia.com?
    if not you should install those instead.
    whats your graphics card?

Beans

I'm not sure why you're not getting a login screen, but once Ubuntu has loaded up, press Alt + F2, then enter this in:
    Code:
    gksu displayconfig-gtk
    This will give you a nice window where you can set your resolution / video card drivers / screen type.
    Once finished, press OK then log out / restart Ubuntu and it should all be nice again.
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by trevelyan View Post
    are you using the propietary driver from nvidia.com?
    if not you should install those instead.
    whats your graphics card?
    here's my card
    Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce 6200] (rev a1)
    what do you mean, like go to the nvida website and download their driver and install them?

thanks

Beans
    Distro

yes thats what i meant.. but here is the link to download the 32bit version driver.

i've attached the instructions on how to install the driver in a .doc file which you can open with openoffice word processor.
    i suggest writing the instruccions down on a piece of paper or printing them out.

let me know how it went.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
    I'm not sure why you're not getting a login screen, but once Ubuntu has loaded up, press Alt + F2, then enter this in:
    Code:
    gksu displayconfig-gtk
    This will give you a nice window where you can set your resolution / video card drivers / screen type.
    Once finished, press OK then log out / restart Ubuntu and it should all be nice again.
    ohh yes I'm getting a login screen, it's just not showing the username box or the password box inside the screen...I tried your method but didn't work..still the same thing

thanks

Beans
    Distro

ok to fix your issue without installing the nvidia propietary driver (though i recomend you do it anyways) do this.

navigate to:
    /usr/share/applications

open "Screens and Graphics" and on the "screen" tab. where it says "model" choose an LCD with your monitor's native resolution or the resolution you want. click OK
    then back on the "screen" tab where it says "resolution" pick the resolution you want. then click ok and logout and back in for changes to take effect.

that will take care of the 800x600 res all the time but it might not take care of the "out of screen" login screen. if it didnt get fixed on its own, to fix it.. let me see if i remember correctly.. you have to open your xorg file.

type this in a terminal:
    sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

but i dont remember exactly what it is you have to change.. i think it was something related to the "screen" section. and change the resolution to something else (even if its already what you want it to be). then log out and then back in.. and then change it to what you actually want it to be and then log out and see if its fixed now.

let me know how that goes.. again... its better if you just install the driver becuase it autoconfigure all this for you.