Thread: [SOLVED] GUI Programming

Beans

[SOLVED] GUI Programming

I have noticed that many of the features of Linux that i am looking at do not have any sort of GUI configuration tools. if i wanted to make my own GUI configuration interface for these items, what is the best way to proceed.

Basically i would just need to make a GUI that would modify the standard configuraiton files that they use now. but what is a good GUI construction set to use to create these front ends?

Beans

Re: GUI Programming

I don't know anything about gui making but I came across this and it might interest you:

http://www.ubuntuvideo.com/linux_gui...ming_with_ruby

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

First you need to pick a language. I recommend Python. Then you can use the bindings for gtk or Qt to make the GUI. I recommend you use python with pygtk,
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

You can get up and running pretty quickly by using Python as the previous poster suggested. You can probably find resources online but there are plenty of GUI books out there for python if you want something more structured to learn from.

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] GUI Programming

Thanks all for the info. this is exaxtly what i needed the python and QT sounds like exactly what i am looking for.

sorry for the new thread. i should have known this question was generic eneugh to have been asked a hundred times here.