Thread: Hotplug USB under KDE How-To

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Hotplug USB under KDE How-To

KDE users--we now get to use the spirit of Ubuntu, by having our friend, Gnome help us.

Run "gnome-volume-manager" under KDE and voila! Run it from the alt+f2 dialog, then make sure to save your session as you exit.

Now USB devices will show up in Konqueror's sidebar.

You can have usb show up on the desktop by checking the "show hard drives" box in desktop configuration--pretty ugly with all the drives sitting there. Or you can just right click and create a device that will be mounted automatically when you plug it in. Look in Konqui for the official location of the device. In my case, for my camera I tell it to create a new hard disk device located at /dev/sdb1. I rename the icon "Camera".

To keep the service from opening up a nautilus window when using it, run "gnome-control-center" and open up "removeable storage" to adjust to your heart's desire.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Hotplug USB under KDE How-To

Yippee!!!!!

you can probably tell I'm very happy now...
    raising the standard wherever required

Registered Linux User 273897

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by paul cooke
    Yippee!!!!!

you can probably tell I'm very happy now...
    Cool! Did it work as advertised?

I think it's rather funny how the KDE and Gnome folks rewrite code.

Why can't, for example, the excellent Kprinter printing framework be ported to or used with Gnome? That's the reason I booted into KDE in the first place and discovered this--I wanted to print some borderless prints. With Gwenview, no problem. Can't be done with any gnome program!!! I got annoyed that KDE wouldn't mount my camera, so I just ran the gnome-volume-manager on the off chance it wouldn't bork or hand KDE, and guess what? I worked just fine. I even have it running in the background with Blackbox and it works great there too.

I've seen these lengthy discussions about KDE patches and editing mtab/stab, etc...when the solution was right in front of people.

Not seeing the forest for the trees I guess. LOL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

"did it work as advertised?"
    not quite, I see nothing in Konq's sidebar and when I click on the devices Icon, I get "Protocol not supported
    devices"
    raising the standard wherever required

Registered Linux User 273897

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by paul cooke
    not quite, I see nothing in Konq's sidebar and when I click on the devices Icon, I get "Protocol not supported
    devices"

Does it work under gnome? See if it works there first. I'm no linux guru and gnome-volume-manager may be dependent on some gnome libs that you don't have installed if you're not a regular gnome user.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

A better way to autostart gnome-volume-manager and gnome-settings-daemon in KDE is to symlink the executables from /usr/bin to ~.kde/Autostart.

Do this by dragging and dropping within Konqueror and choosing "link".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by landotter
    Cool! Did it work as advertised?

I think it's rather funny how the KDE and Gnome folks rewrite code.

Why can't, for example, the excellent Kprinter printing framework be ported to or used with Gnome? That's the reason I booted into KDE in the first place and discovered this--I wanted to print some borderless prints. With Gwenview, no problem. Can't be done with any gnome program!!! I got annoyed that KDE wouldn't mount my camera, so I just ran the gnome-volume-manager on the off chance it wouldn't bork or hand KDE, and guess what? I worked just fine. I even have it running in the background with Blackbox and it works great there too.

I've seen these lengthy discussions about KDE patches and editing mtab/stab, etc...when the solution was right in front of people.

Not seeing the forest for the trees I guess. LOL
    Kprinter is written in qt/kde and relies heavily on the KDE framework, including the I/O slaves library. If it was that trivial to port it over to GNOME, it would've been done already...

As far as g-v-m running under KDE, g-v-m generates GNOME-specific events -- it's just lucky that KDE recognizes some of these. Don't always expect it to work flawlessly...

BTW, KDE 3.4 has built-in HAL support, so the media:/ URI is able to see removable drives! Yay!
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As far as I could tell the only dependance on gnome-volume-manager is "gdm" Uninstall it and it doesn't mount. Install it and everything's back together.

Does kde still use the gnome-volume-manager for hotpluging USB?