Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making Xubuntu look like Windows XP

Beans

Question Making Xubuntu look like Windows XP

I want to install Xubuntu onto a fairly old desktop that seems to have become old and tired after running Windows XP for 6 or 7 years. However, at least one of the user accounts on it will need to be made to like as much like XP as possible to minimise the impact of making the switch. I'm experimenting on my Ubuntu laptop running (Xubuntu in Virtualbox) with customising Xfce. I'm no expert in this area, and the results aren't particularly pretty, although that's not really what I'm going for since I don't find Windows XP that attractive either.

Screenshot: http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/9...uxfcexpds1.png

So far, I've set the window theme to "Xfce-redmondxp", I've removed the top panel and changed the panel colour. I've (poorly) edited images of the XP Start Button, My Documents icon and My Computer icon in GIMP and used them as access to the main menu, Home Folder and File System, I've replaced the Firefox icon with the IE7 icon and I've replaced the Open Office icons with their MS Office equivalents. I've also placed the "Mount Devices" applet on the panel and used an icon similar to the Windows XP "Safely Remove Hardware" icon to represent it. I'm still waiting for one of the IE7-imitation Firefox themes to be made compatible with FF3. Is there anything else I can do?

I've also had a bit of a mess about with LXDE in Xubuntu, and from what I gather there's a lot more room for customisation (such as making the bottom panel look exactly like the one in XP through setting an image of the XP panel as its background), so maybe I'll give that a try.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Making Xubuntu look like Windows XP

hi there,
    im sure there is an Xfce XP theme out there somewhere that you can use. You can get the wallpaper itself from the Windows System Directory, and if you would like to mimic XP behaviour, you might like this:
    http://www.xfce-look.org/content/sho...?content=71377

AJ
    Want to find out more about your ubuntu system? see HowTO Ubuntu System
    Want to know a little more about networking? see HOWTO Ubuntu Networking
    Looking for help with something on your ubuntu? see the tutorial of the week sticky

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajmorris View Post
    hi there,
    im sure there is an Xfce XP theme out there somewhere that you can use. You can get the wallpaper itself from the Windows System Directory, and if you would like to mimic XP behaviour, you might like this:
    http://www.xfce-look.org/content/sho...?content=71377

AJ
    Thanks for the reply.

The screenshot I included was Xubuntu! It was using the "Xfce-redmondxp" theme and had the changes made mentioned above. I'm assuming you looked at it and that it fooled you into thinking it was actually Windows XP! (Unless you didn't look at it, in which case I probably sound a bit strange.)

As for the link you suggested, I'd seen that before but I was put off because I don't think the desktop in question will run Compiz Fusion very well, at least not without compromising performance significantly. Thanks anyway.

Beans

Right, now I've been able to install a beta version of the "myFireFox" theme for FF3 to make Firefox look like IE7 (which the user has become accustomed to), and it's amazing how much it looks like the current Windows desktop!

Beans

I've decided to return to this (out of curiosity really).

Does anyone know if it's at all possible to make the Xfce panel look like the Windows XP one? I know that the GNOME, KDE and LXDE panels can be made to do this by setting the background image to one of the XP panel, but I don't think the computer in question would run GNOME or KDE very well. I can't see any way of customising the LXDE window headers, which would be important when trying to make a desktop less alienating to someone used to XP, or have I just missed something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'm impressed. Good job with the screenshots.... I also know some people that have been very hesitant to switching to linux and I can see how this would reduce some of their anxiety.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Lightbulb Re: Making Xubuntu look like Windows XP

Quote Originally Posted by tonycm1 View Post
    I'm impressed. Good job with the screenshots.... I also know some people that have been very hesitant to switching to linux and I can see how this would reduce some of their anxiety.
    You think? I mean, in Xubuntu just send the top panel to the bottom + notification area + plus the task list, and they should be ready to go!

I attached my idea (by the way, basically this is the way I adjust my own desktop... but prefer the panel on top)

Saludos/Regards

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tonycm1 View Post
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moycano View Post
    You think? I mean, in Xubuntu just send the top panel to the bottom + notification area + plus the task list, and they should be ready to go!
    You'd think so, wouldn't you! Some people are just too afraid of even the slightest change. Anyway, as long as Windows is still actually working (if incredibly inefficiently), I don't think I'll be installing Xubuntu any time soon. Still, I've got a theme all planned out now in case the need arises.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Re: Making Xubuntu look like Windows XP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepaint View Post
    I want to install Xubuntu onto a fairly old desktop that seems to have become old and tired after running Windows XP for 6 or 7 years. However, at least one of the user accounts on it will need to be made to like as much like XP as possible to minimise the impact of making the switch. I'm experimenting on my Ubuntu laptop running (Xubuntu in Virtualbox) with customising Xfce. I'm no expert in this area, and the results aren't particularly pretty, although that's not really what I'm going for since I don't find Windows XP that attractive either.

Screenshot: http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/9...uxfcexpds1.png

So far, I've set the window theme to "Xfce-redmondxp", I've removed the top panel and changed the panel colour. I've (poorly) edited images of the XP Start Button, My Documents icon and My Computer icon in GIMP and used them as access to the main menu, Home Folder and File System, I've replaced the Firefox icon with the IE7 icon and I've replaced the Open Office icons with their MS Office equivalents. I've also placed the "Mount Devices" applet on the panel and used an icon similar to the Windows XP "Safely Remove Hardware" icon to represent it. I'm still waiting for one of the IE7-imitation Firefox themes to be made compatible with FF3. Is there anything else I can do?

I've also had a bit of a mess about with LXDE in Xubuntu, and from what I gather there's a lot more room for customisation (such as making the bottom panel look exactly like the one in XP through setting an image of the XP panel as its background), so maybe I'll give that a try.
    look at this

Beans

I managed to set an image of the XP panel as the background of my Xfce panel in Xubuntu using the Gnome Color Chooser (none of the guides on how to do it manually worked for me).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast