Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Why all the rebooting after updates?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Beans
    132
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Why all the rebooting after updates?

    Ubuntu has traditionally been pretty good about updates being applied w/o the need of a reboot. However, most of the updates I have received since installing Hardy have required a reboot before they take effect. Whats up with that? I am not one of those people who takes pride in their uptime counter, but it seems like I cant make it a single day anymore before ubuntu wants to reboot. I just hope rebooting after an update becomes a common event that we can expect to continue in the future.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Beans
    396

    Re: Why all the rebooting after updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by picopir8 View Post
    I just hope rebooting after an update becomes a common event that we can expect to continue in the future.
    What?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Porirua, New Zealand
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Why all the rebooting after updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by acelin View Post
    What?
    +1: typo?
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    215
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Why all the rebooting after updates?

    Usually you only have to reboot after a kernel upgrade! This is so you can reload into the new kernel to get the benefits immediately - If your box is running fine you don't usually need to reboot straight away...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Beans
    2,132

    Re: Why all the rebooting after updates?

    I don't use Ubuntu, but even if I did I wouldn't care. I turn off my box every night

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    796

    Re: Why all the rebooting after updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    I don't use Ubuntu, but even if I did I wouldn't care. I turn off my box every night
    same here,
    I just hope rebooting after an update becomes a common event that we can expect to continue in the future.
    what updates are making you reboot?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East Yorkshire, England
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Why all the rebooting after updates?

    You should never need to reboot except for a kernel upgrade. In fact, not even for that if you use kexec to load the new one.
    I also turn my computers off at night and compiled my own kernel which I'm unlikely to upgrade any time soon, so I don't need to reboot.
    Website | Blog | The Arch Hurd Project

    If you want to ask about something I posted, send a PM, as I don't watch many threads

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Top Secret
    Beans
    22
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Why all the rebooting after updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by picopir8 View Post
    Ubuntu has traditionally been pretty good about updates being applied w/o the need of a reboot. However, most of the updates I have received since installing Hardy have required a reboot before they take effect. Whats up with that? I am not one of those people who takes pride in their uptime counter, but it seems like I cant make it a single day anymore before ubuntu wants to reboot. I just hope rebooting after an update becomes a common event that we can expect to continue in the future.
    I'm with you, the last 2 days in a row have required a reboot!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Beans
    166
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Why all the rebooting after updates?

    The reboot needed icon just appeared for me.
    Don't eat yellow snow

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    scotland!!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

    Re: Why all the rebooting after updates?

    you dont have to reboot your pc, reboot when you want to... nobody controls your computer.
    Gosh Darn Police Line You Better Not Cross!
    Is it the cop, or am I the one that's really dangerous?

    upgrade to vista!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •