Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: When will the graphics issues in Firefox 3 on ubuntu get fixed?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: When will the graphics issues in Firefox 3 on ubuntu get fixed?

I finally switched from Vista to Intrepid 2 days ago which is my first contact to Linux as a user, before I always was "very interested" but too much of a coward to really do the step changing the OS.

Althoug I am very confident with it now, this picture-rendering problem is very very annoying because I use page-zooming on almost every site and I am afraid to get eye-cancer or something worse from this pixeled graphics.

To me this is the only thing that doesn't work as well or even better as with Windoofs.

I read several threads also in other forums describing this issue for Hardy and the bugreport 217908 on bugs.launchpad.net dealig with it and there it was said "A fix is availiable upstream" can s.o. translate this for a Linux-Noob, plz?

As I understand there is no fix or even a workaround that solves this issue, does this "upstream" mean its still in developement? *guess*

I already tried fiddleing around with grapic-card drivers and the xserver-configuration but nothing helped...

Zooming just text is not an option for webpages that have a predefined width cuz then you have just 2 words/line what doesn't make reading easier for me...

Thx and "Hello Community" !

Beans
    Hidden!

Some people are having problems on the other end.
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...?f=23&t=664257

I use the page zoom heavily, it is a great feature.

I think (as one poster in the thread I linked mentioned) is that there should be interpolation for fractional zoom, but not integer.

Pixel art best illustrates how ugly the zoom is at like 1.5 without interpolation. Misshapen stuff. At 2x or 3x, it looks perfect.

Unfortunately, if firefox on linux did interpolate, any zoomed image would be "blurred", it should look good for most everything, but not pixel type art...

So in the meantime, just grin and bare it, or go to about:config, type zoom, and change the values it scrolls through.
    The problem is a site may be better for viewing overall with a fractional zoom...

The thing I can't get over is, if you click and drag the image on the webpage, the version that floats around, is smoothed... So I dunno honestly what the heck...

The ideal thing would be to use a better algorithm for image smoothing, and make it customizable to toggle on/off for the times where you don't want it (which would probably be rare...)

P.S. For those that want to test to see if they really have this issue
    Try this image
    http://mother3.fobby.net/wp-content/...05/may29_c.png
    Zoom, and keep an eye on the text in the image as you zoom.
    If it blurs/blends, then you've got interpolation, but it just won't be as sharp as before scaling...
    Lastly, running Intrepid Ibex, with firefox minefield (the nightlies, so it's about as new as one end-user like me can get!)
    Last edited by FranMichaels; November 8th, 2008 at 08:33 AM.
    Pears for your heirs
    My GNU/Linux and Emulation blog.
    Resources for the nostalgic emulation enthusiast.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by FranMichaels View Post
    The thing I can't get over is, if you click and drag the image on the webpage, the version that floats around, is smoothed... So I dunno honestly what the heck...
    That...is truly weird. If firefox can zoom it just fine for click-n-drag images, why cant it do it for the regular images? I always keep getting the feeling that the bug-fix for the problem is easier than it first seems.
    I'd really appreciate everyone who cares about this bug vote for it on brainstorm and comment/vote on launchpad.
    Maverick Thinkpad T61, Intel GMA X3100, Intel WiFi 4965AG.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I hope this gets fixed soon.

Beans

I would also REALLY REALLY love if this was fixed. I think the page zoom feature of Firefox, when I use it in Windows is great. But in Ubuntu it is very bad. My zoom is slow and the images look horrible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

UPDATE:
    The bug relating to this issue is being worked on and needs your help.

All users interested in helping, specially those using the closed source nvidia/ati driver (preferably on intrepid), please run the test described in this comment and post the output, along with which version of ubuntu you are using and you display driver (output of the "lspci | grep Display" command or "lspci" command if the first doesnt work) and post your response under that bug-report.

Thanks,
    Maverick Thinkpad T61, Intel GMA X3100, Intel WiFi 4965AG.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234