Thread: [SOLVED] Screen resolution

Beans

[SOLVED] Screen resolution

Hi all.

I resolved the nvidia sound issues with a clean install of ubuntu 8.04 64 bit.

However I now have a screen full of HUGE letters and icons! Ive gone through System : Preferences : Screen resolution, without any joy at all.

A button on my monitor says for optimum performance I should set it at
    1680 x 1050. That isnt available on the menu.

Does anyone know what I should do to correct this? Its hurting my eyes!!

Thanks in advance.

Anthony.

Beans

Re: Screen resolution

Tips, tweaks and how-to's for Ubuntu and Mint:
    http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject
    In for a pleasant surprise? Give Xubuntu a try:
    http://sites.google.com/site/easylin...roject/xubuntu

Beans

Try

alt + F2 >>sudo displayconfig-gtk
    click on Model then chose your screan model

Beans
    Hidden!

you could also try setting it in nvidia-settings. open a terminal and launch it with sudo if you want the changes you make to be saved. if you havent got nvidia-settings, you should be able to 'sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings'

Beans

THANK YOU Both!!!!!!!

I now have a good resource and my ubuntu is now looking and sounding good!

Carmina Burana in Mplayer...

Thanks once again

In your debt.

Anthony.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Otter View Post
    Try

alt + F2 >>sudo displayconfig-gtk
    click on Model then chose your screan model
    This utility comes up, identifies my MGA Millennium 2-head. Allows me to enter the monitor type and select the 1024-768 mode I need (the system insists on the unusable 800-600 mode since the "upgrade", regardless the content of the xorg.conf file...), and save it as "Shop" after successfully testing the video mode; BUT when I exit I am back in 800-600 and logoff and re-login or complete Restart do not cause the settings to be retained, even though they were set as "Root".

Any ideas about how one makes the new, correct settings "stick" so the computer can be, once again, used for some useful purpose?

Thanks in advance, these undocumented changes in "Hardy" are really frustrating and have lost me considerable business, so ANY realistic fix to the display problems will be VERY welcome.
    Fudoki

AMD 9950 X4 w/8Gb on Asus M3A-H/HDMI w/ Nvidia 780G chipset and Asus Nvidia 7650GT w/256Mb running Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" AMD64

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fudoki View Post
    This utility comes up, identifies my MGA Millennium 2-head. Allows me to enter the monitor type and select the 1024-768 mode I need (the system insists on the unusable 800-600 mode since the "upgrade", regardless the content of the xorg.conf file...), and save it as "Shop" after successfully testing the video mode; BUT when I exit I am back in 800-600 and logoff and re-login or complete Restart do not cause the settings to be retained, even though they were set as "Root".

Any ideas about how one makes the new, correct settings "stick" so the computer can be, once again, used for some useful purpose?

Thanks in advance, these undocumented changes in "Hardy" are really frustrating and have lost me considerable business, so ANY realistic fix to the display problems will be VERY welcome.
    The solution is probably this: do NOT "save it as Shop". In fact: do not save it *at all*. Saving is only a means of saving a copy, not the real change. You want the real change done to your computer.
    Tips, tweaks and how-to's for Ubuntu and Mint:
    http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject
    In for a pleasant surprise? Give Xubuntu a try:
    http://sites.google.com/site/easylin...roject/xubuntu