Thread: [SOLVED] Google Earth

Beans

[SOLVED] Google Earth

could somebody please give me step by step instructions on how to install google earth...thanks in advance!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Google Earth

For Hardy:

Install Medibuntu Repository from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu:
    Code:
    sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update
    Install Google Earth (this is a metapackage, no version number required. current version 4.3):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install googleearth
    Last edited by drs305; June 26th, 2008 at 02:55 PM. Reason: link added, metapackage note

Beans

try going to system>administration>synaptic package manager.

do a search for it and you may able to download it.

there A LOTTASTUFF in ubuntu's repositories..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Fitst go to terminal. Applications->Accessories->Terminal
    Cut, copy, and paste the commands one by one:

Code:
    wget http://dl.google.com/earth/client/current/GoogleEarthLinux.bin
    Code:
    chmod +x GoogleEarthLinux.bin
    Code:
    ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin
    There you'll get a GUI which will step by step install Google Earth.

If you are using 32bit Ubuntu then you can also install Google Earth by CNR:
    http://www.cnr.com/

EDIT: @OP: Ignore this post. drs305's way is better.

Beans

thanks Anurag_panda - you way worked perfect!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: [SOLVED] Google Earth

I am glad you got it installed. For future reference, installing via .bin files does not register the app in synaptic and dpkg, which means that uninstalling becomes a little more difficult and updates will not automatically be available. When possible using the repositories is generally a better way to go. That being said, there are lots of ways of doing the same thing in ubuntu.

Enjoy Google Earth!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

adding the medibuntu repository to your synaptic package manager or following drs305 instructions would be a lot better as you could easily install/uninstall and update google earth using synaptic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks drs305!
    .___.___.__...__..___..__....__..__..
    |.__|.__|._\./__\|._.\/..\../..|/..\.
    |._||._||.v.|.\/.|.v././\.|.`7.|.//.|
    |_|.|___|__/.\__/|_|_\_||_|..|_|\__/.

Beans

I guess I'll have to learn more about medibuntu, drs305, synaptic and dpkg. Being a newbie sucks!

Anywho, my Google Earth is installed and works, but the danged 'button' on the desktop doesn't work. I've tried changing its properties and making a new one to no avail.

For now, I have to open a terminal, do sudo -i, cd to the directory where the program is and type ./googeearth every time to get it working.

How do you make a 'button' to open this program?

Also, checking the available help, it says I can change a file's properties using System|Preferences|File Management, but I don't have the File Management option on my Ubuntu toolbar for some reason??? Any help on that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rcadby View Post
    For now, I have to open a terminal, do sudo -i, cd to the directory where the program is and type ./googeearth every time to get it working.
    Depending on how you installed it, your only way to run it may be as root. That is abnormal.
    Using sudo to open an app is not the preferred way of doing things since the configuration files won't be specific to you. However, I understand your plight.

You can normally find out the command to run an app by running the following command (substitute any app name):
    Code:
    which googleearth
    How do you make a 'button' to open this program?
    Right click on a panel, Add to Panel, Application Launcher and see if your app is listed and select it.

If it is not listed, the first thing to do is find a command that works to open the app in terminal (without sudo if possible!). Then right click the panel, Add to Panel, Custom Application Launcher. Enter a name and then put the run command in the Command box. You can add an icon in the upper left or if ubuntu recognizes the command it will automatically enter the app's icon.

If you have to use sudo to start the app, I would consider reinstalling it so this is not necessary. If you decide to always run the app as root, you can search the forums for "sudoers" and see how you can add the googleearth command to the sudoers file to allow you to run it as root without having to type the password.
    Last edited by drs305; December 7th, 2008 at 11:12 PM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.