Thread: DVD Grinding Noise

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Red face DVD Grinding Noise

I have a daru2 running ubuntu (Gutsy)

Last night while playing a dvd my laptop started making a very disconcerting grinding noise. It did it a few times within a span of a few minutes, after the dvd had been playing an hour or so. It seemed like the dvd skipped some or playback slowed when the grinding noise occurred.

This had happened at least once before on my laptop. I believe I had attributed it to excessive heat or the laptop being at a strange angle. On this occasion the laptop did not seem particularly hot and was sitting flat. I've searched through log files and haven't found anything notable occurring while the dvd was playing.

Also, I'm not *positive* it was the dvd player making this noise - I've heard similar noises from hard drives, but I can only recall my laptop making this noise while playing dvd's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: DVD Grinding Noise

First, make sure it is not just the disk you are using. Every once in a while I run across one with a slight imbalance that causes a vibration.

If you can reproduce it with another disk, you need to contact me via email at support(at)system76(dot)com with the serial number on your computer -- the one that starts with 1221-***.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC