Thread: How to update apt-get software indexes offline

Beans

How to update apt-get software indexes offline

As we know we have to update software indexes (by apt-get update) before we begin installing software during fresh install. Is there any way to update the software indexes on the machine having no internet connection. Now plz plz don't suggest me the nonetdebs way, it is for downloading packages and dependencies. I want to just update software indexes.

In which files these indexes are stored when i apt-get update so that i can copy that file to the machine with no internet connection.

Any help ?
    Linux guys are cool guys, free guys, open guys

Beans

Re: How to update apt-get software indexes offline

Quote Originally Posted by cadcrazy View Post
    In which files these indexes are stored when i apt-get update so that i can copy that file to the machine with no internet connection.

Any help ?
    Try to browse this directory for the Ubuntu Software Indexes:

/var/lib/apt/lists
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans

Thanks for your reply buddy. Actully I have internet connection but my friend don't have it. So can i safely replace all files from this directory to one in my friend's without damaging breaking anything.

All this i need is so that i update indexes in his computer, copy all the packages from my /var/cache/apt/archive to his and do apt-get to install any software/package. I guess now i can do that

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cadcrazy View Post
    Thanks for your reply buddy. Actully I have internet connection but my friend don't have it. So can i safely replace all files from this directory to one in my friend's without damaging breaking anything.

All this i need is so that i update indexes in his computer, copy all the packages from my /var/cache/apt/archive to his and do apt-get to install any software/package. I guess now i can do that
    Assuming that you both installed the same Ubuntu version, then, I think that would be safe.
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans

Thanks iaculallad.
    Will try it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex